History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Quarry Bank Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Styal, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3435 / 53°20'36"N

Longitude: -2.2501 / 2°15'0"W

OS Eastings: 383443

OS Northings: 382988

OS Grid: SJ834829

Mapcode National: GBR DYQS.N4

Mapcode Global: WHBB7.D7R3

Entry Name: Quarry Bank Mill

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414953

Location: Styal, Cheshire East, SK9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Styal

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Wilmslow St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wilmslow

Listing Text

SJ 88 SW WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. QUARRY BANK ROAD

1/303 Quarry Bank Mill
(formerly listed under Styal)
30/3/1951

GV II*

Cotton spinning and weaving mill: dated 1784 for Samuel Greg, expanded
from 1808 - c.1820 to present size with addition of weaving shed of
1834 and mill offices c.1860. Restoration dated 1969. English garden
wall bond red brick. Welsh slate roof, tall octagonal mill chimney.
5-storey, 23-bay east front. Right 3 bays projecting under
stone-coped pediment are original portion. 20-pane windows with stone
sills under cambered brick heads. Central ovolo-moulded stone
doorcase with triangular pediment and repainted quaint inscription
reading "Quarry Bank Mills Built by Samuel Greg Esquire of Belfast
Ireland Anno Domini 1784". Clock in pediment and open bellcote with
lead cupola on ridge. Central 13 bays have similar 20-pane windows
and left ? bays project under a gambrel roof. Further additions to
south end include 8-bay mill offices with hipped roof. West front has
lower range along river side and date of 1810 over wheel out-flow. At
south end is a 4-storey weaving shed with flat stone wedged heads to
lower windows.
Interior: Floors divided by simple iron columns carrying wooden
joists. 2 closed string stone staircases. Mill offices retain their
original fittings.

Massive wheelpit of 1819 formerly contained 32 ft. diameter waterwheel
by Thomas Hewes, replaced by 2 turbines in 1904. A 25 ft diameter
waterwheel similar in design to Hewes's and by his pupil Sir William
Fairbairn, from Glasshouses Mill, Pateley Bridge is soon to be
installed (1983). For full history see M B Rose The Gregs of Styal
National Trust, 1978.


Listing NGR: SJ8344382988

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.