History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to Charles Cook in St Mary's Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Walberton, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8432 / 50°50'35"N

Longitude: -0.6217 / 0°37'18"W

OS Eastings: 497139

OS Northings: 105757

OS Grid: SU971057

Mapcode National: GBR FJ9.5LY

Mapcode Global: FRA 96LW.1MT

Plus Code: 9C2XR9VH+78

Entry Name: Monument to Charles Cook in St Mary's Churchyard

Listing Date: 26 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415161

Location: Walberton, Arun, West Sussex, BN18

County: West Sussex

Civil Parish: Walberton

Built-Up Area: Westergate

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Walberton

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Walberton

Description

The following building shall be added to the list;

SU 90 NE WALBERTON Monument to Charles
Cook in St Mary's
Churchyard

8/10022 II


Headstone. Circa 1767. Marks the grave of Charles and Sarah Cook. Height 127cm: width
90cm. It commemorates the death of Charles Cook who lost his life by the fall of a tree on 20th
March 1767 aged 30 years and also his widow Sarah who died in 1788. The subject matter is
quite remarkable and unique with high quality Rococo carving and fine lettering. At top the
Head of God with pen and book, and below Him a semi-circle of clouds; from its centre hangs
a scales. On either side of the God-head inverted cornucopia and trumpeting cherubs flying
through clouds. On either side of the God-head inverted cornucopia and trumpeting cherubs
flying through clouds. Below this the scene of the accident has been depicted: a hatted
gentleman with spade and pick raises a hand in horror ; in front of him an uprooted tree beneath
which lies a body and close to it a tricorn hat. To the left of the tree stands a skeleton with
poised arrow and to its right sits Father Time, a scythe in one hand and a half-filled hourglass in
the other. There is an oakleaf scroll along the bottom of the bas-relief. Below the scene the
stone is divided into two panels. The left one tells of Charles Cook; the right in memory of
Sarah Cook. At the base are 2 poems, 8 lines for Charles, 4 for Sarah. They are in strongly
contrasting styles and rhythm.


Listing NGR: SU9713905757

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.