History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountain Villa

A Grade II Listed Building in Ryde, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7313 / 50°43'52"N

Longitude: -1.1648 / 1°9'53"W

OS Eastings: 459042

OS Northings: 92747

OS Grid: SZ590927

Mapcode National: GBR 9CN.0CB

Mapcode Global: FRA 87G4.S1B

Plus Code: 9C2WPRJP+G3

Entry Name: Fountain Villa

Listing Date: 18 May 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1238406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415920

Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Ryde

Built-Up Area: Ryde

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Ryde

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Ryde

Listing Text

SPENCER ROAD
1.
1577
(North Side)
Fountain Villa
SZ 5992 1/309

II

2.
Set well back between Spencer Road and Buckingham Road. Reached by same
passage as leads to Chestnut Cottage and with a garden door to Buckingham
Road. House of mid C18 origin, enlarged and refaced to North as a
village Circa 1830/40. South front: two adjoining slate roof gabled bays,
two storeys high. Left hand one of stone rubble with brick quoins, right
hand one entirely faced in brick, both painted. Two windows, recessed
in brick bay and with moulded flush wood frames in rubble bay, sash,
glazing bars intact. Glazed rectangular porch added to ground floor
left. The North garden front is brick faced, painted, with parapet
and cornice concealing hipped slate roof. Band between storeys, five
windows, three in mid C19 bay to East, are recessed, others in moulded
flush wood frames, centre one round headed within rectangular frame, the
Western one on first floor has a keystone. All are sash, glazing bars
intact except in bay. Enclosed stucco porch with round headed windows
to side, cornice and blocking course over. Recessed door of four
fielded panels. Step down. Owing the Napoleonic wars, the house was
used as a lock-up for French prisoners.


Listing NGR: SZ5907092750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.