This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3421 / 52°20'31"N
Longitude: 1.5023 / 1°30'8"E
OS Eastings: 638665
OS Northings: 277335
OS Grid: TM386773
Mapcode National: GBR XNV.2NJ
Mapcode Global: VHM73.0D2C
Entry Name: Gothic House
Listing Date: 21 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1239856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 417886
Location: Halesworth, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: Halesworth
Built-Up Area: Halesworth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Halesworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. LONDON ROAD
1163 (South East Side)
No 1 (Gothic House )
TM 3877 1/27 21.1O.49.
C16, originally one building, now separate. Timber-framed. Overhanging
1st floor. No 1 now stucco finish, No 2 still shows structural timbers with
brick nogging plastered over. Plain tiles, one stack of 6 detached square
flues Joined at top, probably mod C19 restoration. Original Jacobean porch
supported on 4 wood columns with twin wood arches and pendentives between
each column, enriched frieze and dentil cornice. Suckling shows these columns
based on a low wall but this now replaced by wood pedestrals. Sucklings
engraving shows a 3-light sashed bay over the porch in front of a square
projection with the words "Harvey's Academy" over the porch, which school
was not long after transferred to Castle House Holton Road, qv. No 1, 4 windows,
casement with cast iron hexagonal small panes, and `Tudor' dripmoulds over.
Suckling states in 1848 the windows were sashes. The present windows appear
circa 1850-60. No2 has mullion transom windows and a 3-light mullion casement
on the street front, and at the back at least one mullion transom window.
No1 has moulded and stop chamfered door frame, reproduction Tudor door probably
mid C19. Internally there are several heavily moulded oak beamed and joisted
ceilings, oak staircase with heavy turned balusters and newels. No 2 has
the original spiral staircase. Suckling in 1848 illustrates an elaborate
mantelpiece with the Bedingfield coat of arms and an ornate doorway, stating
that they "have recently been removed." The house was occupied by the Bedingfield
family from 1547 to 1720, among whom were Sir Henry Bedingfield Lord Chief
Justice of the Common Please and Sir Robert Bedingfield, Lord Mayor of London
Nos 1 and 2, Nos 4 to 10 (consec) & Nos 25 to 28 (consec) form a group.
Also Nos 1 and 2 form a group with No 39 and White Lion, Thoroughfare.
Listing NGR: TM3866577328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings