History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Splatts House

A Grade II Listed Building in Heddington, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3996 / 51°23'58"N

Longitude: -2.0143 / 2°0'51"W

OS Eastings: 399102

OS Northings: 166725

OS Grid: ST991667

Mapcode National: GBR 2TF.7KK

Mapcode Global: VHB48.12HX

Entry Name: Splatts House

Listing Date: 31 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240092

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438204

Location: Heddington, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Heddington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Heddington St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Rowde

Listing Text

ST 96 NE HEDDINGTON SPLATTS LANE

5/136 Splatts House

II

House built 1729 for F and P Child, chequered brick with ashlar
dressings, slate roof and end stacks. Two storeys and attic, 5-
window range. Formal east front with moulded plinth, rusticated
quoins, moulded string, coved cornice and parapet with corner urns.
Centre porch bay projects with balustrade. Two dormers. Main
windows are segment-headed in raised bead-moulded surrounds with
keystones. C19 plate glass sashes. String course and cornice
broken forward over keystones. Porch bay has similar windows to
first floor front and sides, ground floor side doors in segment-
headed surrounds and front door in moulded architrave with broad
shell hood on scroll brackets. Inner door has architrave and
fielded strips each side, possibly indicating a removed hood and
therefore that porch bay is added. Four-window rear with coved
eaves cornice, the upper floor complete, the first floor with
dripcourse but right window removed, the ground floor with door in
moulded surround and dripcourse over 2 windows to right, but one
removed. To left, a moulded stone plaque FCP 1729 and then 2
superimposed mullion and transom 2-light stair windows. An early
C19 rear wing connects to a 2-storey gabled outbuilding with
asbestos sheet roof and coped south gable. East side bead-moulded
2-light upper window and ground floor single light. South end wall
has moulded plinth, flush quoins and ashlar gable with 6 tiers of
dove-openings. West side has recessed cyma-moulded mullion
windows, two 2-lights flanking upper door, 3-light with dripstone
below. Interior of house mostly altered in C19, some panelled
shutters. Outbuilding to rear has full-width circular opening in
first floor at north end, purpose unknown. Splatts was the estate
of the Child family from the C16 to 1780. Sir Francis Child (1642-
1720) founded Child's Bank, London.
(Wiltshire Notes and Queries 11, 1899; R.J. Cole, A short history
4 Heddinton and district n.d.)


Listing NGR: ST9910266725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.