History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former William Gibbs School

A Grade II Listed Building in Faversham, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3156 / 51°18'56"N

Longitude: 0.8954 / 0°53'43"E

OS Eastings: 601872

OS Northings: 161367

OS Grid: TR018613

Mapcode National: GBR SW3.K5W

Mapcode Global: VHKJW.G6Q9

Plus Code: 9F328V8W+65

Entry Name: Former William Gibbs School

Listing Date: 24 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438703

Location: Faversham, Swale, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

Civil Parish: Faversham

Built-Up Area: Faversham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Faversham

Listing Text

ORCHARD PLACE
1.
5282 Former William
Gibbs School
TR 0161 SE
3/31
II

2.
Former school. Dated 1882 on terracotta plaque on front elevation. Built by
Richard Gibbs, a tea planter, and named in honour of his brother William Gibbs a
local amateur archaeologist.In Queen Anne style. Built of red brick with some stone
dressings, terracotta panels and tiled roof with alternately 4 bands of scolloped
and 4 bands of plain tiles, terracotta ridge tiles and clustered ribbed brick
chimney stacks. Asymmetrical plan of 2 storeys, attic and basement. South elevation
has brick dentil cornice, moulded bands and plinth. 6 windows. Left side projecting
bay with gabled attic window with wooden bargeboard and projecting 3 light bay through
ground and first floors with end pilasters and triple cambered sashes divided by
stone fluted Ionic pilasters and with keystones. Panelled parapet. Terracotta panels
between ground and lst floors, with central female bust and end panels of apples.
2nd bay from left has tall sash with horns and keystone; 3rd bay has projecting 2
storey porch with 1st floor tall sash with horns and keystone and ground floor porch
with brick ogee arch. 4 panelled door, the top 2 panels glazed. 4th bay has gabled
tile hung attic storey with 1 triple mullioned and transomed window and 3 light
canted bay to ground and first floors. 1st floor cambered arched mullioned and
transomed windows with keystones. Ground floor flat arched window divided by brick
pilasters. Panelled parapet and semi-circular floral terracotta panels between
floors. 2 right side end bays have 2 cambered mullioned and transomed casements with
keystones. Terracotta panels between floors, one with pomegranates the other with
oranges(?)and dated 1882. East elevation is of 2 storeys and has to left a 3 light
canted bay with mullioned and transomed casements and floral terracotta panel above
1st floor and semi-circular floral patterns above ground floor. Projecting portion
with one storey gabled section with buttresses and 6 light mullioned and transomed
casement. To right is a further 2 storey portion with 1:2 windows, one 5 light
mullioned and transomed window and one 2 light cambered window with keystone to
ground floor. West elevation has 2 gabled semi-dormers and irregular fenestration
of sashes with keystones.

Listing NGR: TR0187361372

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.