History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Essence Factory

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifford, Trafford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4656 / 53°27'56"N

Longitude: -2.268 / 2°16'4"W

OS Eastings: 382304

OS Northings: 396578

OS Grid: SJ823965

Mapcode National: GBR DCN.MN

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.4580

Entry Name: Essence Factory

Listing Date: 1 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438833

Location: Trafford, M16

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifford

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stretford (Old Trafford) St Bride

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


SJ 89 NW,
1482-/3/10003

STRETFORD,
CHESTER ROAD,
Essence Factory

II

Essence Factory, incorporating office and warehouse functions. 1896, with late C20 alterations.
By Briggs and Wostenholme of Blackburn, for Messrs. Duckworth and Co. Red brick with
terracotta dressings and detailing. Plain tile and Welsh slates to roof. Symmetrical elevation
conceals asymmetry of plan and functional divisions within the 'L' shaped complex. South
elevation: four storeys with 5-storeyed towers to ends and centre. 12 bays, arranged 1:3:3:3:1:1
with towers at bays 1, 4, 7 and 11, with bay 12 of two storeys and gabled possibly an afterthought.
Entrance at bay 6 with semi-circular-headed doorway in moulded terracotta surround and
panelled double doors. Polygonal attached columns surmounted by urns flank doorway. Stacked
3-light mullioned and transomed windows with flat, then segmental, then semi-circular arched
heads to ascending windows. Tower bays flank doorways, with 2-storey oriels and octagonal
corner turrets to fifth storey extended downwards to third floor. Three bays to each side of entrance
range with semi-circular headed arcades of tall windows at ground and first floor levels, the
latter spanning two floors. Triple semi-circular headed windows to upper floor below blind
parapet, the bays delineated by pinnacles. End towers are wider versions of those to the
centre, and are 2 bays deep. Rear elevation obscured by C20 addition which is not of special
interest. Service courtyard to right with former engine and boiler houses, stable and low
entrance tower. Interior: frame of steel joists supported by iron columns. 5-bay office range to
front, entered through vestibule, with central colonnade, and moulded ceiling plaster. Wide
strutted roof trusses with iron props at junction of tie beam and principal rafter.


Listing NGR: SJ8230496578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SJ 89 NW,
1482-/3/10003

STRETFORD,
CHESTER ROAD,
Essence Factory

II

Essence Factory, incorporating office and warehouse functions. 1896, with late C20 alterations.
By Briggs and Wostenholme of Blackburn, for Messrs. Duckworth and Co. Red brick with
terracotta dressings and detailing. Plain tile and Welsh slates to roof. Symmetrical elevation
conceals asymmetry of plan and functional divisions within the 'L' shaped complex. South
elevation: four storeys with 5-storeyed towers to ends and centre. 12 bays, arranged 1:3:3:3:1:1
with towers at bays 1, 4, 7 and 11, with bay 12 of two storeys and gabled possibly an afterthought.
Entrance at bay 6 with semi-circular-headed doorway in moulded terracotta surround and
panelled double doors. Polygonal attached columns surmounted by urns flank doorway. Stacked
3-light mullioned and transomed windows with flat, then segmental, then semi-circular arched
heads to ascending windows. Tower bays flank doorways, with 2-storey oriels and octagonal
corner turrets to fifth storey extended downwards to third floor. Three bays to each side of entrance
range with semi-circular headed arcades of tall windows at ground and first floor levels, the
latter spanning two floors. Triple semi-circular headed windows to upper floor below blind
parapet, the bays delineated by pinnacles. End towers are wider versions of those to the
centre, and are 2 bays deep. Rear elevation obscured by C20 addition which is not of special
interest. Service courtyard to right with former engine and boiler houses, stable and low
entrance tower. Interior: frame of steel joists supported by iron columns. 5-bay office range to
front, entered through vestibule, with central colonnade, and moulded ceiling plaster. Wide
strutted roof trusses with iron props at junction of tie beam and principal rafter.


Listing NGR: SJ8230496578

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.