This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8443 / 54°50'39"N
Longitude: -1.9324 / 1°55'56"W
OS Eastings: 404439
OS Northings: 549941
OS Grid: NZ044499
Mapcode National: GBR GDYF.F8
Mapcode Global: WHB31.9H2N
Entry Name: Group of Tombs, South of Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1240625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439105
Location: Muggleswick, County Durham, DH8
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Muggleswick
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Edmundbyers and Muggleswick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 05 SW MUGGLESWICK MUGGLESWICK
10/98 Group of tombs,
south of Church
of All Saints
Group of tombs comprising 3 chests, one table and 4 headstones. Cl7 and C18.
1, John Ward, died 1686,and members of his family to 1717. Chest with plain
sides and moulded top, and well-cut inscription. Fawcett No. 46.
2. John Carr, died 1756. Table with 6 tapered square pedestals and moulded
top. Latin inscription with English verse. Fawcett No. 50.
3. William Carr, died 1748, and membersof his family died 1715 and 1736. Chest
tomb with panelled sides and moulded top. Inscription in English and Latin,
including son 'denatus' in 1715. Fawcett No. 47.
4. John and Alice Byerley, died 1670 and Anne Carr, died 1749-50. Chest with
panelled sides and moulded top. Fawcett No. 49.
5. Margaret Wren, died 1719. Headstone with shaped top and skull and crossed
bones decoration. Fawcett No. 25.
6. Isabella Carr, died 1742. Headstone with Latin inscription and skull and
crossed bones decoration. Fawcett No. 41.
7. Hannah Carr, died 1738. Headstone with elaborately-shaped top. Fawcett No. 42.
8. Hannah Carr, died 1789. Headstone with elaborately-shaped top, and decoration
of open book. Fawcett No. 48.
Source: J.W. Fawcett, The Parish Registers of Muggleswick, Durham 1906.
Listing NGR: NZ0443949941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings