History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanley, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8937 / 54°53'37"N

Longitude: -1.709 / 1°42'32"W

OS Eastings: 418763

OS Northings: 555478

OS Grid: NZ187554

Mapcode National: GBR JCHV.TJ

Mapcode Global: WHC42.Q8D8

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 19 July 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439450

Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanley

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Tanfield

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Rowlands Gill

Listing Text

NZ 1855 STANLEY FRONT STREET
(North side)
Tanfield
18/170 Church of St.Margaret
19/7/50
GV II
Parish church. Nave dated 1749, tower dated 1853, chancel dated 1864,
remodelling dated 1878, the latter by Austin, Johnson and Hicks (brass panel in
tower describes it as 'remodelled, restored, new seated and new organ'). 1853
and 1864 by public subscription with large contributions from John Eden of
Beamish Park, and James Joicey and Company, coal owners.
Sandstone ashlar with plinth and quoins; graduated Lakeland slate roof with
stone gable copings; Welsh slate roof on north tower vestry. West tower with
north vestry; aisled nave; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Tower
has double boarded doors, with elaborate hinges and lift-scutcheon latch, under
fanlight in moulded, shafted round-headed arch; inscription with date above;
tall shouldered light above, and 2-light shouldered belfry openings under
corbel table and battlemented parapet; west front of tower has shafted round-
headed window with paired round-headed lights and plate tracery; clock above.
4-bay nave has 2-light square-headed Perpendicular windows(replacing C18 round-
headed windows, of which traces remain) and impost band; lancets in 3-bay
chancel, with 3 stepped east lancets; buttresses between bays, angle to tower
and chancel, with setbacks. Date panel on nave below impost band at left, and
sundial with gnomon above. Roof continuous over aisles, with stone cross
finials, and wrought iron vane on tower. Wrought iron foot-scraper.
Interior: painted plaster above panelled dado; painted ashlar dressings;
panelled chancel; panelled flat nave roof on corbelled wall-posts and low-
pitched panelled chancel roof, with Tudor-flower freizes. Triple-chamfered
2-centred arcades springing without capitals from round columns; similar style
chancel and tower arches. Perpendicular style rood screen; Communion rail on
fat twist balusters; carved wood altar in Gothic style with 3 medallions and 4
apostle figures. Romanesque piscina in north wall. Gothic organ 1907 by
Walker. Large raised font, of Frosterley, Devonian and white marble with
octagonal bowl on pedestal and 4 shafts; commemorates Queen Victoria's golden
jubilee. Perpendicular-style font cover inscribed to T. Duncombe Eden, died
1899. Geometrical glass with figures, in chancel, dated 1864; later glass in
aisles, one window signed with mark of mailed hand and ribbon. Monuments
include C17 heraldic slabs to members of Tempest and Ripon families; white
marble mourning figure and sarcophagus with portrait medallion, on north aisle
wall, to Dorothea Melden Eden, by Bedford of London; broken column in south
aisle to George Rippon by Jopling of Newcastle.


Listing NGR: NZ1876355478

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NZ 1855 STANLEY FRONT STREET
(North side)
Tanfield
18/170 Church of St.Margaret
19/7/50
GV II
Parish church. Nave dated 1749, tower dated 1853, chancel dated 1864,
remodelling dated 1878, the latter by Austin, Johnson and Hicks (brass panel in
tower describes it as 'remodelled, restored, new seated and new organ'). 1853
and 1864 by public subscription with large contributions from John Eden of
Beamish Park, and James Joicey and Company, coal owners.
Sandstone ashlar with plinth and quoins; graduated Lakeland slate roof with
stone gable copings; Welsh slate roof on north tower vestry. West tower with
north vestry; aisled nave; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Tower
has double boarded doors, with elaborate hinges and lift-scutcheon latch, under
fanlight in moulded, shafted round-headed arch; inscription with date above;
tall shouldered light above, and 2-light shouldered belfry openings under
corbel table and battlemented parapet; west front of tower has shafted round-
headed window with paired round-headed lights and plate tracery; clock above.
4-bay nave has 2-light square-headed Perpendicular windows(replacing C18 round-
headed windows, of which traces remain) and impost band; lancets in 3-bay
chancel, with 3 stepped east lancets; buttresses between bays, angle to tower
and chancel, with setbacks. Date panel on nave below impost band at left, and
sundial with gnomon above. Roof continuous over aisles, with stone cross
finials, and wrought iron vane on tower. Wrought iron foot-scraper.
Interior: painted plaster above panelled dado; painted ashlar dressings;
panelled chancel; panelled flat nave roof on corbelled wall-posts and low-
pitched panelled chancel roof, with Tudor-flower freizes. Triple-chamfered
2-centred arcades springing without capitals from round columns; similar style
chancel and tower arches. Perpendicular style rood screen; Communion rail on
fat twist balusters; carved wood altar in Gothic style with 3 medallions and 4
apostle figures. Romanesque piscina in north wall. Gothic organ 1907 by
Walker. Large raised font, of Frosterley, Devonian and white marble with
octagonal bowl on pedestal and 4 shafts; commemorates Queen Victoria's golden
jubilee. Perpendicular-style font cover inscribed to T. Duncombe Eden, died
1899. Geometrical glass with figures, in chancel, dated 1864; later glass in
aisles, one window signed with mark of mailed hand and ribbon. Monuments
include C17 heraldic slabs to members of Tempest and Ripon families; white
marble mourning figure and sarcophagus with portrait medallion, on north aisle
wall, to Dorothea Melden Eden, by Bedford of London; broken column in south
aisle to George Rippon by Jopling of Newcastle.


Listing NGR: NZ1876355478

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.