History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thornton-le-Dale, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.237 / 54°14'13"N

Longitude: -0.7153 / 0°42'55"W

OS Eastings: 483827

OS Northings: 483127

OS Grid: SE838831

Mapcode National: GBR RMFF.XX

Mapcode Global: WHF9X.ZRJQ

Plus Code: 9C6X67PM+QV

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241098

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440012

Location: Thornton-le-Dale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Thornton-le-Dale

Built-Up Area: Thornton-le-Dale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Thornton Dale

Description

THORNTON DALE HIGH STREET
SE 8383
(north side)
14/98 (9/18) CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
10.11.53
II *
GV

Church. C14 nave and chancel; late C14 tower; C15 arcades and chancel arch;
chancel and vestry rebuilt, nave restored and all windows renewed 1865-66;
porch 1900. Restoration by E W Tarn. Dressed sandstone on chamfered
plinths; sandstone ashlar porch; stone flagged roof. West tower; 4-bay
double-aisled nave, south porch; chancel and vestry. Tower: four stages
with battlements, crocketed pinnacles and diagonal buttresses with offsets.
Two-light mullion and transom louvred bell openings to each face beneath
pointed hood-moulds which form an impost band. 3-light west window with
reticulated tracery beneath pointed hood-mould on corbel heads. Nave: has
diagonal buttresses with offsets. Gabled south porch contains pointed
doorway of two chamfered orders; segment-headed north door, both with hood-
moulds on corbel heads. Rebuilt 2-light windows throughout except for a
single trefoil-headed light to the right of the north door. Continuous
hood-mould with labels. Chancel: rebuilt shouldered priest's door to centre
of south wall beneath rebuilt 2-light window with two similar windows on
either side. Small ogee-arched window to west, and diagonal buttress to
east. Rebuilt east window of three lights with reticulated tracery beneath
original pointed hood-mould on corbel heads. Interior: tall narrow tower
arch of two chamfered orders. North and south arcades of double chamfered
pointed arches on restored piers of four shafts, roll mouldings, fillets and
annulets. Tall pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders on half-
octagonal piers. C14 piscina and restored sedilia with C14 corbel heads in
chancel south wall. In the chancel north wall a C14 cusped and pointed tomb
niche contains the figure of a lady with a crocketed canopy above her head
and a dog at her feet. Carved armorial shields on either side suggest she
may be Lady Beatrice Hastings. Other monuments include one to John Hill
(d1773) by Fisher of York - a detached urn on a tall carved pedestal in a
trefoil-headed niche; a wall tablet to Richard Johnson Hill (d1793). Brass
tablets to John Porter (d1686), Jane Porter (d1705) and Thomas Mason and his
wife (both d1744).


Listing NGR: SE8382783127

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.