History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Costock, Loughborough, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8326 / 52°49'57"N

Longitude: -1.1488 / 1°8'55"W

OS Eastings: 457439

OS Northings: 326463

OS Grid: SK574264

Mapcode National: GBR 8K3.JC1

Mapcode Global: WHDHK.B258

Plus Code: 9C4WRVM2+3F

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441235

Location: Costock, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE12

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Costock

Built-Up Area: Costock

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Costock

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Ruddington

Listing Text

COSTOCK CHURCH LANE
SK 52 NE
(north side)
5/3 Church of St. Giles
13.10.66
II
Parish church. C14, restored 1688 and 1848 when the north aisle
and porch were added by G. G. Place, further restored 1862 by
Gilbert Scott when the west end was rebuilt. Dressed coursed
rubble, some ashlar. Slate roofs. Single stack to the north
chancel. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the west
nave, east chancel and aisle, porch and bellcote. Buttressed and
set on a plinth. Nave, south porch, north aisle with west
bellcote and chancel. C19 bellcote with 2 open Caernarvon arches
surmounted by single trefoil arch containing bell. Under is a
single panel with 2 decoratively carved shields. The west wall
of the nave has a single restored C14 arched 3 light window with
cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. To the
left in the aisle and set into a slightly projecting bay, is a
single arched 2 light C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould
and C14 human head label stop. Continuous sill band extending to
the north and east walls, forming a hood mould over the doorway
and broken by the recess. North wall with chamfered arched
doorway decorated with fleuron. To the left is a single 2 light
window with cusped tracery under a flat arch with hood mould and
label stops. Further left is a cinquefoil arched recess with
hood mould and clumsy finials. On the far left is a single
similar window. The east wall has a single restored C14 arched 3
light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. The north chancel has a single C14 trefoil arched
light, there is a continuous sill band which extends to the south
chancel where it is broken by the recess. The east wall has a
single C14 arched 3 light window with reticulated tracery, hood
mould and remains of label stops. The south chancel has a single
C14 2 light window with reticulated tracery under a flat arch
with hood mould and label stops. To the left is the C14
cinquefoil arched tomb recess with the remains of an effigy of a
priest, hood mould with 3 finials. On the far left is a restored
C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights under a flat
arch. The single light to the right has a transom corresponding
to the sill of the left light with single small light under.
South nave with single quoin to the east formerly part of a
decorated Saxon cross. Single restored C14 window with 2 ogee
arched and cusped ights under a flat arch. Continuous sill band,
broken by the gabled and coped porch with chamfered arched
entrance, hood mould and label stops. The east wall is decorated
with 3 bay blind arcading. Inner C19 moulded arched doorway with
hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single arched
restored C14 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould
and human head label stops. Windows to south wall and west nave
with iron bars with fleur de lys finials. Interior. 3 bay C19
nave arcade with octagonal columns and responds, foliate
decorated capitals, moulded and chamfered arches and hood moulds
with human head label stops. C19 double chamfered chancel arch,
the inner order supported on circular responds with moulded
capitals. South chancel with treofil arched piscina, hood mould
and C19 label stops. A band, broken in parts; extends around the
south and east chancel forming a sill band to some windows.
North chancel window with sill band. The west and east windows
of the south aisle have hood moulds with human head label stops.
C14 octagonal ashlar font bowl. Benches with poppyheads a few
being C15. North chancel has a memorial to Revd Sampson Parkyns,
1801, the crown being an obelisk with damaged garland. South
nave has a memorial to Revernd William Quinton Wild, 1827, by
Peatts Nottm, the inscription tablet is surmounted by an urn.


Listing NGR: SK5743926463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.