This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3594 / 53°21'33"N
Longitude: -3.1635 / 3°9'48"W
OS Eastings: 322666
OS Northings: 385355
OS Grid: SJ226853
Mapcode National: GBR 6YBL.XG
Mapcode Global: WH766.CTTH
Plus Code: 9C5R9R5P+QJ
Entry Name: Caldy Manor
Listing Date: 20 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 441573
Location: West Kirby and Thurstaston, Wirral, CH48
Electoral Ward/Division: West Kirby and Thurstaston
Built-Up Area: West Kirby
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: West Kirby St Bridget
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CALDY ROAD
4/4 Caldy Manor
House, now old people's home. Southern wing to street C17,
much altered, main part 1864, by W. and J. Hay, remodelled
1907, possibly by Briggs, Wolstenhome and Thornley.
Datestones over north west entrance: 1696, 1704, and 1907.
Stone with slate roof. Main block has wing to south east
which connects with wing along street. Garden front of 7
bays. End bays project under gables; 2nd and 6th bays break
forward with gablets; central shaped gable. Double-
chamfered-mullioned windows. Central 3 bays have cross-
mullioned windows with central bowed oriel. 2nd bay has 2-
storey canted bay window with 3 transoms and balustrade; 3-
light attic window. 1st bay has paired 2-light windows, 6th
bay has paired 3-light window. 7th bay has entrance.
Several stacks with diagonal shafts. Left return has shaped
gable and canted porch to rear angle; C17 style round headed
entrance with fluted pilasters and entablature. Right
return has 2-storey canted oriel with gable over. Rear
varied, with simpler windows; elliptical-headed entrance to
carriage way, street wing has C20 windows. West side of
wing has corbelled tourelle with conical roof to angle,
canted oriel to attic and 2 gabled half-dormers. Turret,
1882, by C.E. Kempe as part of chapel. Window of 2
segmental-headed lights with drip moulds. Timber framed top
stage has clock faces open work panels and gables to all
sides. Lead spire with open stage. Low extension with apse.
Interior: 2-storey hall has gallery, now brought forward.
Raised panelling and ornamental plaster ceiling. Fireplace
with pilasters and over mantel. Dining room has ornate
plaster ceiling with pendants and frieze with coats of arms,
1877. Marble fireplace with Ionic pilasters.
Listing NGR: SJ2266685355
Other nearby listed buildings