History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dry Dock at Blackwall Engineering

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackwall & Cubitt Town, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5075 / 51°30'26"N

Longitude: -0.0026 / 0°0'9"W

OS Eastings: 538715

OS Northings: 180619

OS Grid: TQ387806

Mapcode National: GBR KZ.Q0V

Mapcode Global: VHGR1.WCZQ

Entry Name: Dry Dock at Blackwall Engineering

Listing Date: 1 April 1983

Last Amended: 21 November 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441610

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E14

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Blackwall & Cubitt Town

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Saints Poplar

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Stepney

Listing Text


788/26/868A BLACKWALL WAY E14
01-APR-83 Dry Dock at Blackwall Engineering

(Formerly listed as:
BLACKWALL WAY
Dry Dock at Blackwall Engineering)

II

Dry dock. Late C18, in existence in 1803, enlarged and rebuilt to its present dimensions before 1850. Truncated to two-thirds of original length 1988 and north end reprofiled by Richard Rogers Partnership. Brick and stone construction with the usual stepped bottom.
PLAN: rectangular, with waisted east side at north end and curved north corners.
EXTERIOR: one step visible above water line, paved with millstone slabs on lower step, and with granite facing blocks to edges of both steps. Side walls of yellow stock brick laid in English bond. Terminal south walls of red stock brick and with millstone coping. Granite-faced steps on either side at south end, and opposite each other at point of waisting. Steel caisson gate at south end renewed in 1988. One of the earliest large dry docks remaining on the Thames. Used by the Greens in their Blackwall Yard, famous for Blackwall frigates and later adapted for repairing paddle wheel tugs.


Listing NGR: TQ3871580619

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.