History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Widecombe in the Moor, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5443 / 50°32'39"N

Longitude: -3.8227 / 3°49'21"W

OS Eastings: 270948

OS Northings: 73200

OS Grid: SX709732

Mapcode National: GBR QD.F1QM

Mapcode Global: FRA 27WM.GJW

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 3 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441694

Location: Widecombe in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Widecombe in the Moor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Leusdon St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Widecombe in the Moor

Listing Text

WIDECOMBE-IN- LEUSDON
SX 77 SW THE-MOOR
6/234 Church of St John the Baptist
-

- II

Parish church, originally a chapel-of-ease of Widecombe. 1863 by J W Rowell of
Newton Abbot, architect to the Palk estate. Squared granite rubble with details in
limestone, probably Bath stone. Slated roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, south
tower attached to junction of nave and chancel. Designed in a "geometrical
decorated style". Side-walls of nave have 2-light windows with pointed arches, the
lights with trefoiled heads and a quatrefoil in the head of the window. Chancel has
trefoiled lancet windows. East and west windows have trefoil-headed lights, 3 on
the east and 4 on the west, with 3 quatrefoils in the heads of the windows. 2-stage
tower with flanking buttresses at the base. In south face a clock under a
triangular stone canopy. Belfry has paired, trefoil-headed lancets in each face.
Thin bracketed cornice above, finished with a parapet.
Interior is very simple. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch of alternating
limestone and granite blocks. Carved limestone pulpit with grey marble balusters.
Octagonal limestone font with pink marble shaft. Carved wood reredos of circa 1907.
4 stained glass windows, 2 of them of circa 1879 and 1915; a third is inscribed
with the name A A Orr, Harrow, 1912, and the initials A A O appear on the window of
circa 1915.
Built and endowed by Mrs C R Larpent "in lieu of the long ruined chapel of St
Leonard, at Spitchwick".
Sources: information from the C19 Devon Churches Research Group.
White's Directory of Devonshire, 1878, p.849. R Dymond, ed., Widecombe-in-the-Moor,
1876, p.21.


Listing NGR: SX7094873200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

WIDECOMBE-IN- LEUSDON
SX 77 SW THE-MOOR
6/234 Church of St John the Baptist
-

- II

Parish church, originally a chapel-of-ease of Widecombe. 1863 by J W Rowell of
Newton Abbot, architect to the Palk estate. Squared granite rubble with details in
limestone, probably Bath stone. Slated roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, south
tower attached to junction of nave and chancel. Designed in a "geometrical
decorated style". Side-walls of nave have 2-light windows with pointed arches, the
lights with trefoiled heads and a quatrefoil in the head of the window. Chancel has
trefoiled lancet windows. East and west windows have trefoil-headed lights, 3 on
the east and 4 on the west, with 3 quatrefoils in the heads of the windows. 2-stage
tower with flanking buttresses at the base. In south face a clock under a
triangular stone canopy. Belfry has paired, trefoil-headed lancets in each face.
Thin bracketed cornice above, finished with a parapet.
Interior is very simple. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch of alternating
limestone and granite blocks. Carved limestone pulpit with grey marble balusters.
Octagonal limestone font with pink marble shaft. Carved wood reredos of circa 1907.
4 stained glass windows, 2 of them of circa 1879 and 1915; a third is inscribed
with the name A A Orr, Harrow, 1912, and the initials A A O appear on the window of
circa 1915.
Built and endowed by Mrs C R Larpent "in lieu of the long ruined chapel of St
Leonard, at Spitchwick".
Sources: information from the C19 Devon Churches Research Group.
White's Directory of Devonshire, 1878, p.849. R Dymond, ed., Widecombe-in-the-Moor,
1876, p.21.


Listing NGR: SX7094873200

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.