History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Uppacott Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Widecombe in the Moor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5409 / 50°32'27"N

Longitude: -3.8339 / 3°50'2"W

OS Eastings: 270146

OS Northings: 72843

OS Grid: SX701728

Mapcode National: GBR QC.7BW4

Mapcode Global: FRA 27VM.Q69

Entry Name: Lower Uppacott Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Last Amended: 3 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241904

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441163

Location: Widecombe in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Widecombe in the Moor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Leusdon St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Holne

Listing Text

WIDECOMBE-IN-
SX 77 SW THE-MOOR
6/190 Lower Uppacott Farmhouse (formerly
listed as Lower Uppacott Cottages
23.8.55 and barn attached)
GV II

House, formerly a longhouse. Late medieval with later additions; rear wing
probably added in C18. Granite rubble. Thatched roof, that of main range half-
hipped; lean-tos at rear covered with real slates. On ridge of main range, off-
centre to left, a granite ashlar chimneystack (heating former hall) with thatch
weatherings and tapered top. Projecting from gable-wall of wing a granite stack
with offsets, weatherings and plain top; quoins and shaft are of roughly squared
granite blocks. C20 stone stack at rear of shippon. 3-room and through-passage
plan with hall stack backing on to passage; former shippon to right. Rear wing at
left-hand end. 2 storeys; lean-tos single-storeyed. 3-window front, the 2 right-
hand windows in the former shippon; at left-hand end the thatch dips down to cover
the upper storey completely. All windows have C19 or C20 small-paned wood
casements. Doorway to passage has pent-roofed stone porch with old plank door; the
roof now forms a catslide, but a photograph of 1950 shows a window above it. To
right of the porch there was formerly a separate doorway to the shippon, of which
only a straight joint now survives; a window has replaced it. To right of this
window is a blocked ventilation slit. To right of this in turn is a stone lean-to
with catslide roof; this too has been altered since 1950. In the lower, right-hand
gable-wall, at ground-storey level, are 3 ventilation slits, now glazed.
Interior: has stone-flagged floor to former through-passage; partition with former
shippon has gone. Shippon is now a kitchen, but was still used for cattle (though
with concrete feeding troughs) until mid C20. Floor-beams of loft above have mostly
been renewed, but one heavy, rough beam remains. Back of hall stack facing through-
passage is without architectural features, but contains some massive, roughly-
dressed granite blocks. Against it is a chamfered half-beam, cut into to insert the
slightly projecting back of the hall oven. Hall also has stone-flagged floor.
Fireplace has plain granite jambs; chamfered wood lintel seems to be re-used, since
the chamfer overruns the jambs. In the right-hand side is an oven with stone-framed
opening having a slightly curved head. At back of fireplace, at left-hand side, is
a flat-headed recess. Upper floor has no beams; just chamfered joists with step-
stops, running from front to back wall. At the upper end the joists over the inner
room project into the hall as a jetty, showing that the hall was originally open to
the roof. The joists are plain on the inner-room side, but chamfered with run-out
stops and curved ends on the hall side; the partition below is C20, but the original
one had already been replaced before that. In the room over the hall, the wall with
the room over the inner room contains a low plank-and-muntin partition with
chamfered studs having run-out stops; the top rail seems to have been replaced.
This partition must originally have stood on the end of the jetty so that it could
be seen from the hall; it is now visible only at the east end of the wall, but a
report of 1972 suggests that it formerly extended right across. The roof-truss over
the hall has very slightly curved feet; it has through purlins and ridge, but there
is no sign of a collar, although close inspection in the roof-space was not
attempted. The truss, common rafters and underside of the thatch are smoke-
blackened. According to the owner of the house the blackening continues over the
inner room, suggesting that this too was single-storeyed originally. The roof
trusses over the shippon are probably C18 or early C19, with threaded purlins and
collars pegged to the faces of the principal rafters. There is a tie-beam truss
buried in the back of the hall stack. The rear wing has a gable fireplace with
plain granite lintel and monolithic granite jambs. Chamfered upper-floor beam with
unusually deep and angled scroll-stop, similar to one at Dunstone Manor (q.v.).
Sources: Information from the present owner. 1972 report by Miss E Gawne.
Photograph in National Monuments Record, London.


Listing NGR: SX7014672843

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.