This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2808 / 51°16'50"N
Longitude: 1.0777 / 1°4'39"E
OS Eastings: 614736
OS Northings: 158015
OS Grid: TR147580
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.P93
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.M2MG
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 441709
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 1458 SE ST PETER'S STREET
(North East Side)
Church of St Peter
C14 to C15 built on the site of a probable Roman Christian church. Roman
and Saxon tiles are incorporated in the Bell Tower. The exterior is of 1
storey flint and coursed rubble with fragments of Roman brick. Tiled roof
and restored lancets. The North West tower is crenellated. The rear elevation
has a half hipped roof. The interior has a nave and 2 aisles dating from
the C12. 4 bay nave, Windows are restored double and triple lancets. Wooden
roof. Interior has a piscina and a C13 sanctuary with an Easter Sepulchre.
Norman font with a C17 lid on a pulley attached to a wrought iron bracket.
Georgian wall monuments. Late C17 mace rest.
Nos 12, 13, 13A and the Church of St Peter form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1470257932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings