History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Calder and Hebble Navigation Warehouse on River Calder Opposite Thornes Lane Wharf Grid Ref Se 3368 1988

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wakefield East, Wakefield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6742 / 53°40'27"N

Longitude: -1.4915 / 1°29'29"W

OS Eastings: 433689

OS Northings: 419871

OS Grid: SE336198

Mapcode National: GBR LT0Y.WM

Mapcode Global: WHDC4.2X14

Plus Code: 9C5WMGF5+M9

Entry Name: Calder and Hebble Navigation Warehouse on River Calder Opposite Thornes Lane Wharf Grid Ref Se 3368 1988

Listing Date: 30 March 1971

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242353

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441730

Location: Wakefield, WF1

County: Wakefield

Electoral Ward/Division: Wakefield East

Built-Up Area: Wakefield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sandal St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in


SE 31 NW

(West side)
Calder and Hebble Navigation Warehouse on River Calder Opposite
Thornes Lane Wharf Grid Reference 3368 1988


Two warehouses, c1790, converted to a single warehouse 1816. Built for the Calder & Hebble Navigation Co. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. 4 storeys and attic. River front has 7 window facade, divided 3:1:3 with central linking single window section over canal dock and original gabled 3 window warehouse to either side. Present facade remodelled 1816. Central round arched opening to canal dock has rusticated archway with C20 blue brick walling. Above tall recessed arch through upper floors with single tripartite window to each floor, the top one with a Diocletian window. Either side slightly projecting 3 window wings 4 storey plus attic with central recessed arch rising full height into the gable pediments. Each floor has segmental headed central taking-in doorways with double doors and flanking small windows with iron glazing bars. Pediments have single taking-in doorways now blocked with tiny round headed openings above. Similar west facade has boarded windows with repaired central upper floor section now rendered with inserted iron girder. North and south, side facades each have 5 original stone mullion windows in flush ashlar surrounds to lower 2 floors, some converted to doorways. Above 2 floors added 1816 have 9 boarded windows with segmental heads. Iron hoist mechanism at south-west corner. INTERIOR has massive wooden beams and cross beams supported on square wooden piers and later circular iron columns. Internal walls of original two warehouses survive with rows of arches inserted. Original wooden staircases survive and 3 separate original roofs with queen-post roof structure.

Listing NGR: SE3368919871

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.