History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.824 / 52°49'26"N

Longitude: -1.2531 / 1°15'11"W

OS Eastings: 450428

OS Northings: 325428

OS Grid: SK504254

Mapcode National: GBR 8JZ.VC8

Mapcode Global: WHDHH.Q8HV

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441771

Location: Sutton Bonington, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE12

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Sutton Bonington

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Bonington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Sutton Bonington

Listing Text

SUTTON BONINGTON MAIN STREET
SK 52 NW
(east side)
4/106 Church of
St. Michael
13.10.66
G.V. II*
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C19, restored 1857, 1871 and 1895.
Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble and rock-face ashlar. Slate and
lead roofs with decorative ridges. Coped gables with single
ridge crosses to the east nave, the east chancel, and the south
and north sides of the porch. Single stack to the east end of
the north aisle. Buttressed. Tower with spire, nave, aisles,
south porch, north organ chamber and chancel. Embattled angle
buttressed tall C14 tower set on a chamfered plinth with moulded
band over, of 3 stages with bands and topped with a C15 spire
with 2 tiers of 4 lucarnes, the lower tier with 2 lights. A band
extends under the embattlements with single C19 gargoyles to the
centre of each side. West side of the tower with single restored
C14 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery. Above is a
single clock face. There are 3 small rectangular stair lights.
The north and south sides each have single rectangular lights.
The south side with 4 small rectangular stair lights. The east
side has a single rectangular light. 4 arched bell chamber
openings each with 2 lights, cusped tracery, hood mould and label
stops, some being human head. The west wall of the north aisle
has a single restored C14 arched 3 light window with reticulated
tracery, hood mould and sill band. The north wall with
continuous sill band broken by the doorway and buttresses has a
single restored arched early C14 2 light window with Y tracery
and hood mould, to the left is a moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and label stops and further left 2 restored C14 arched 2
light windows with reticulated tracery and hood moulds. The east
wall has a single similar larger 4 light window with hood mould
and sill band. Projecting under is the slate lean-to roof of a
cellar. At the juncture of aisle and east nave is a single
carved grotesque. Clerestory has 4 segmental pointed arched C15
windows each with 3 arched lights. The C19 chancel is set on a
chamfered plinth, the north wall has a single central projection
housing the organ chamber, either side are single C19 arched 2
light windows with cusped tracery, hood moulds and human head
label stops. Further right and left are single pairs of small
cusped openings. Sill bands. That from the left window extends
to the east and south chancel. The east end buttresses are
topped with single small finials. Single C19 arched 5 light
window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label
stops. The south wall has a single pair of small cusped
openings, to the left is a single C19 arched 2 light window with
cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops, a moulded
arched doorway, a single similar lower C19 window with hoodmould
and human head label stops and on the far left a single similar
pair of openings. The east wall of the south aisle has a single
restored C14 arched 3 light window with reticulated tracery, hood
mould, human head label stops and sill band. The south wall has
2 similar 2 light C14 windows with hood moulds. Rainwater head
here dated 1857. To the left is the gabled porch with double
chamfered arched entrance with impost bands which form hood
moulds over the single trefoil arched lights in each side wall.
Inner double chamfered arched doorway with hood mould. to the
left is a single similar 2 light C14 window and hood mould. The
west wall has a single restored C14 window with 3 arched and
cusped lights under a flat arch, hood mould and human head label
stops. The clerestory corresponds to the north, rainwater head
here dated 1871. Interior. Tall, narrow nave with 4 bay
arcades. The C14 north arcade with octagonal columns and
responds, the central column and west respond with foliate and
the east respond with stiff leaf capitals, the remainder being
moulded. Bases to columns with seats. The C13 south arcade with
circular piers and moulded capitals, the west and east responds
being corbels. Both sides with double chamfered arches with
broach stops to some of the outer chamfers. Double chamfered
tower arch, the inner order supported on corbels in turn
supported on carved human heads. Over is a blocked arched
opening. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order
supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. South
chancel wall with C19 decorative tripartite sedilia and trefoil
arched piscina to the left. All with foliate decorated
spandrels. Continuous sill/hood mould band to the south chancel
with continuous sill band to the east and north chancel, being
broken on the north side by the organ chamber. The south wall of
the south aisle has an arched piscina. Evidence of former nave
roof on east and west walls of nave. C14 octagonal font
decorated with quatrefoil panels and 3 projecting ledges. C19
canopy, the remaining furniture C19. West nave wall has a brass
plaque to "Every's daught. Dormer's wife", 1634. Tower has
remains of a decoratively carved ashlar plaque.


Listing NGR: SK5042825428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.