This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2165 / 51°12'59"N
Longitude: -0.8 / 0°47'59"W
OS Eastings: 483910
OS Northings: 147051
OS Grid: SU839470
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.NL0
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.2PY9
Plus Code: 9C3X6682+J2
Entry Name: Windsor Almshouses
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290887
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Built-Up Area: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 8347 SE 1/31
Nos 53 to 60 (consec)
Dated 1619. Long symmetrical front of 2 storeys, with 5 gables. Brick, old
tile roof, partly relaid with new tiles. The central gable crow-stepped and
with central square stone panel with inscription of date and name Andrew Windsor,
who erected building for "8 poor, honest old impotent persons". Other gables
have C19 cut bargeboards with central pointed finials, and 2-light small panel
casements. On ground floor - 8 ledged doors with cover strips studded on
and formed into flat pointed arch at head, the whole door also with flat pointed
arched top, all doors early C19 but in older chamfered frames. The central
gable has a similar large double door. The doors are arranged in pairs with
single doors at corners. A range of 2-light casements in chamfered wood frames,
and under drip moulds, between doors. Each door approached by small flight
of brick steps with wood edging to treads, and with C19 pediment hood over.
4 tall chimney stacks. 3 tall plane trees at pavement edge in front of buildings
are an important street feature.
All the listed buildings in Castle Street (East Side) form a group.
The Windsor Almshouses (with the wall behind), and the listed buildings (with
Nos 3 and 5 and Sherfield's Yard) in Park Row, all form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8391847044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings