History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Willoughby-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8226 / 52°49'21"N

Longitude: -1.0608 / 1°3'38"W

OS Eastings: 463385

OS Northings: 325419

OS Grid: SK633254

Mapcode National: GBR 9LR.2LV

Mapcode Global: WHFJQ.P91Z

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242526

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441880

Location: Willoughby on the Wolds, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE12

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Willoughby on the Wolds

Built-Up Area: Willoughby-on-the-Wolds

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Willoughby-on-the-Wolds

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Willoughby on the Wolds

Listing Text

WILLOUGHBY CHURCH LANE
SK 62 NW
ON THE WOLDS (west side)
6/145 Church of St. Mary
13.10.66 and All Saints
I
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, chapel repaired 1781, repaired and
enlarged 1829, chancel rebuilt 1891, restored and porch built
1908, chapel restored 1984. Dressed coursed rubble, some ashlar.
Lead roofs with coped gables, parapets to nave and chancel.
Single ridge crosses to east chancel and porch, single stack to
west end of north aisle. Buttressed. Tower with spire, nave,
aisles, north chantry chapel, south porch and chancel. C13 tower
of dressed coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and of 2 stages.
The early C14 broach spire with 2 tiers of 4 lucarnes. Set on a
low chamfered plinth. The west side has a single arched window
and the south side a single rectangular light with single clock
face over. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2
pointed arched lights. The west wall of the north aisle has a
single arched restored C14 window with cusped tracery and hood
mould. In the north wall is a single arched 2 light early C14
window with Y tracery, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway.
Further left is the C13 angle buttressed chapel set on a plinth.
In the west wall is a single blind quatrefoil. There is a band
which continues to form a sill band on the north side where there
are 2 restored C14 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights
under a flat arch. The east wall has a single restored C14
window with 3 cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch, the
central light has a singtle transom with single blind trefoil
arch under. To the left is the east wall of the aisle which is
on a shallow plinth and has a single C15 arched 3 light window
with cusped panel tracery and hood mould. The C15 clerestorey
has 4 arched C15 windows each with 3 cinquefoil arched lights,
hood mould and label stops. The north wall of the chancel is set
on a shallow plinth in parts and has a single early C14 arched 2
light window with Y tracery and remains of a continuous sill
band. The east end has a single C19 arched 5 light window with
cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel
with band extending over the narrow plinth has 2 C19 arched 3
light windows with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The south aisle is set on a plinth and has in the east
wall a single arched 3 light early C14 window with intersecting
tracery. The south wall has 2 arched 2 light early C14 windows
with Y tracery. To the left is the gabled 1908 porch set on a
plinth. Double chamfered arched entrance, the inner chamfer
supported on C19 octagonal responds, with hood mould and label
stops, over is a single trefoil arched niche. Each side wall has
a single trefoil arched light. Inner double chamfered arched
doorway with hood mould and remains of label stops. To the left
is a single similar 2 light window. In the west wall is a
single arched 3 light C15 window with cusped panel tracery, hood
mould and humna head label stops. The clerestory corresponds to
the north. Interior. 4 bay early C13 nave arcades with circular
columns, keeled responds, octagonal moulded capitals to all but
the 2 east columns of the south arcade, which are circular. The
capital of the single central pier on the south side is decorated
with crude foliate and the capital of the east respond of this
side has some C19 nailhead and remains of crude foliate carving.
Double chamfered arches, hood moulds to nave sides with remains
of 2 label stops. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer
supported on keeled responds with moulded capitals. C19 double
chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on octagonal
responds. C19 rood screen. 2 bay north aisle/chapel arcade
with moulded arches and single central circular moulded column.
The east most bays partly occupied by panel witl 2 blind trefoil
arches. The west wall of the chapel decorated with 3 bay C13
blind arcading with moulded arches and jambs, no capitals. Over
is a single rectangular recess. The north wall has an aumbry and
single moulded rectangular niche, with further small recess. The
south wall with ogee arched piscina. Flanking the jambs of the
east window here is some decorative moulding. Nave with evidence
of former roof on west wall. Nave roof C15 with moulded and
carved beams and decorative bosses. North aisle with single
rectangular niche under the east window. Remains of wall
painting to south aisle, south wall, and to the north and east
walls of the nave. There is a "C16 oak chest with iron hinges
and 2 chairs with C16 carving. OCtagonal ashlar C14 font with
blind trefoil arched panels decorating the bowl. Remaining
furniture C19. Single William IV hatchment. In the tower are
2 boards with biblical texts and a single board detailing
bequests. Between north aisle and north chapel are a few
medieval tiles. In the floor of the north aisle is a small oval
brass to Collonell Michael Stanhope, 1648, this decorated with a
skull and crossbone and hour glass and angel's wings. There is a
further floor slab decorated with an incised cross. The north
chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas contains several good monuments.
There are 2 c.1300 effigies of ladies in wimples, one with head
ona pillow, the other with head supported by angels. The effigy
of Sir Richard de Willoughby, 1325, of a recumbant cross legged
knight with his wife next, both with feet on lions and heads on
pillows. That to Sir Richard de Willoughby Judge, 1362, is of a
recumbant figure in pleated dress. The sides of the alabaster
tomb being decorated with blind shields. The alabaster tomb of
his son Sir Richard de Willougby, 1369, is of a recumbant knight
with head resting on a visor and feet on a dog. The front of the
tomb is decorated with raised decorated shields. The alabaster
tomb of Sir Hugh de Willougby and his second wife Margaret
Freville, 1448, depicts 2 recumbant figures in prayer, he a
knight with feet resting on a lion and head on a visor. She with
feet resting on a dog and head on a pillow supported by angels.
The tomb decorated at the head end with a representation of the
Holy Trinity and at the feet end with the Virgin and Child. The
sides are decorated with figures of angels holding shields, set
into trefoil arched panels with decorative carved spandrels. His
sword, now fragmented, is displayed in a case attached to the
north wall. There is an incised floor slab to Isabel Foljmabe,
1417, first wife of Sir Hugh and a much restored-floor slab of a
priest, probably Hugh Willougby, Rector of Willoughby 1320-29.


Listing NGR: SK6338625413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.