History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lake Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Widecombe in the Moor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.536 / 50°32'9"N

Longitude: -3.8296 / 3°49'46"W

OS Eastings: 270438

OS Northings: 72294

OS Grid: SX704722

Mapcode National: GBR QC.7RXW

Mapcode Global: FRA 27VN.5VY

Entry Name: Lake Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242528

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441959

Location: Widecombe in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Widecombe in the Moor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Leusdon St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Holne

Listing Text

WIDECOMBE-IN- POUNDSGATE
SX 77 SW THE-MOOR
6/251 Lake Farmhouse
23.8.55
- II*

Farmhouse. Late C16 or early C17, altered 1661. Granite rubble. Thatched roof;
shippons to right covered with corrugated iron. Granite chimneystack (heating
former hall) on ridge, with weatherings, one of them inside the roofspace as a
result of raising the roof; added red brick shaft on top. C18 or C19 granite stack
in right-hand gable wall. Plan has 2 rooms to left of cross-passage, these having a
second cross-passage between them. 2-storeyed entrance-porch to main cross-passage,
this having a small room built into the left-hand side. Rounded stair turret at
rear of each room. To right of main cross-passage is a small unheated room with 2
shippons beyond; although this room is divided from the shippons by a solid wall
only in the ground storey, there is no evidence of former doorway between them. 2
storeys. 5 windows wide. C19 wood casements, mostly with glazing-bars. Porch in
fourth bay from left has round-arched doorway of carved granite with three-quarter-
round moulding and primitive raised decoration in the spandrels, these carrying the
initials TH and date 1661. To left of doorway a small rectangular window with
hollow-moulded granite surround. Inner doorway has chamfered stone surround with
cranked head. Shippon has 2 doorways with plank doors having old wrought-iron strap
hinges. 1 small unglazed window between them. Right-hand gable has plank door to
loft with wrought iron strap hinges. Slit window below it and 2 more in rear wall.
Interior has lightly-chamfered upper floor beams, the former hall with chamfered and
stopped joists. Hall fireplace backs on to passage; heavy wooden lintel and oven
having stone-framed opening with arched head. Left-hand staircase has winding stone
steps. The 2 shippons, separated from each other by a stone wall on the ground
storey, both have central drains, the left-hand shippon has stones defining a
feeding trough along the front and back walls; some of the stones seem to have
shallow holes on top for tethering posts. Roofs all rebuilt in softwood, late C19
or early C20.
Lake formerly contained panelling believed to have come from Spitchwick Chapel; this
is now at Sandridge in Stoke Gabriel parish (information from Mrs F Wilkinson).


Listing NGR: SX7043872294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.