History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Radford Headstone Approximately 3 Metres East of Chancel of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Down St. Mary, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.826 / 50°49'33"N

Longitude: -3.7859 / 3°47'9"W

OS Eastings: 274310

OS Northings: 104458

OS Grid: SS743044

Mapcode National: GBR L3.X8QF

Mapcode Global: FRA 26YX.BW8

Entry Name: Radford Headstone Approximately 3 Metres East of Chancel of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242552

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441990

Location: Down St. Mary, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Down St. Mary

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Down St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bow

Listing Text

DOWN ST MARY DOWN ST MARY
SS 70 SW
2/163 Radford Headstone approximately
- 3 metres east of chancel of
Church of St Mary

GV II

Headstone. Dated 1896 in memory of Rev. W T A Radford. Bath stone and volcanic
stone enriched with polychrome mosaic and enamelwork. Gothic style. Upright
store standing approximately 1 metre high. Moulded plinth of purple volcanic
store. Pointed top with moulded edges and flanking pilasters containing sunken
panels with trefoil heads and shaped finials. The top-panel contains a relief
Bottonee cross on a ground of gold and red mosaic which includes an enamel
representation of a grail to left. On the right a circular depression from a lost
motif. Inscription in lower panel inscribed in Victorian Gothic lettering and
records the death of Rev. W T A Radford in 1889.
This is one of a series of unusual headstones which are distinguished by their use
of polychrome mosaic. The Rev. W T A Radford was squire, parson, patron and
incumbent. For half a century he was one of the most important figures in the
High Church movement in the Diocese of Exeter and also had strong and well-
informed views on architecture. He was a founder member of the Exeter Diocesan
Architectural Society. He determined the whole shape of the restoration of the
church in which he employed personal friends such as G E Street and Clayton and
Bell.
Source: Devon C19 Church Project.


Listing NGR: SS7431004458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

DOWN ST MARY DOWN ST MARY
SS 70 SW
2/163 Radford Headstone approximately
- 3 metres east of chancel of
Church of St Mary

GV II

Headstone. Dated 1896 in memory of Rev. W T A Radford. Bath stone and volcanic
stone enriched with polychrome mosaic and enamelwork. Gothic style. Upright
store standing approximately 1 metre high. Moulded plinth of purple volcanic
store. Pointed top with moulded edges and flanking pilasters containing sunken
panels with trefoil heads and shaped finials. The top-panel contains a relief
Bottonee cross on a ground of gold and red mosaic which includes an enamel
representation of a grail to left. On the right a circular depression from a lost
motif. Inscription in lower panel inscribed in Victorian Gothic lettering and
records the death of Rev. W T A Radford in 1889.
This is one of a series of unusual headstones which are distinguished by their use
of polychrome mosaic. The Rev. W T A Radford was squire, parson, patron and
incumbent. For half a century he was one of the most important figures in the
High Church movement in the Diocese of Exeter and also had strong and well-
informed views on architecture. He was a founder member of the Exeter Diocesan
Architectural Society. He determined the whole shape of the restoration of the
church in which he employed personal friends such as G E Street and Clayton and
Bell.
Source: Devon C19 Church Project.


Listing NGR: SS7431004458

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.