History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross Approximately 7 Metres West of Tower of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Down St. Mary, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.826 / 50°49'33"N

Longitude: -3.7865 / 3°47'11"W

OS Eastings: 274273

OS Northings: 104457

OS Grid: SS742044

Mapcode National: GBR L3.X8L1

Mapcode Global: FRA 26YX.BPS

Entry Name: Cross Approximately 7 Metres West of Tower of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441993

Location: Down St. Mary, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Down St. Mary

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Down St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bow

Listing Text

SS 70 SW
2/166

DOWN ST MARY
DOWN ST MARY
SS 70 SW
Cross approximately 7 metres west of tower of Church of St Mary

GV
II

Churchyard Cross. Probably C15 on circa 1900 base. Granite. Plain cross made
from a single piece of granite approximately 1.7 metres high. It is crudely
carved and the stem is not straight. The edges of the stem, the short arms and
top have hollow-chamfered edges and there are remains of pyramid stops at the
bottom. Cross is set on granite socket stone of circa 1900 with shouldered
corners.
Cross was erected here by the Right Revd Bishop Kestall-Cornish when Rector (1897-
1909). It was discovered being used as a paving stone in Bow Village.
Source: Devon SMR

Listing NGR: SS7427604459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SS 70 SW
2/166

DOWN ST MARY
DOWN ST MARY
SS 70 SW
Cross approximately 7 metres west of tower of Church of St Mary

GV
II

Churchyard Cross. Probably C15 on circa 1900 base. Granite. Plain cross made
from a single piece of granite approximately 1.7 metres high. It is crudely
carved and the stem is not straight. The edges of the stem, the short arms and
top have hollow-chamfered edges and there are remains of pyramid stops at the
bottom. Cross is set on granite socket stone of circa 1900 with shouldered
corners.
Cross was erected here by the Right Revd Bishop Kestall-Cornish when Rector (1897-
1909). It was discovered being used as a paving stone in Bow Village.
Source: Devon SMR

Listing NGR: SS7427604459

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.