This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7601 / 50°45'36"N
Longitude: -3.7396 / 3°44'22"W
OS Eastings: 277402
OS Northings: 97049
OS Grid: SX774970
Mapcode National: GBR QH.KK0C
Mapcode Global: FRA 3712.JYB
Plus Code: 9C2RQ766+25
Entry Name: Woodland Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242735
English Heritage Legacy ID: 443610
Location: Crediton Hamlets, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton Hamlets
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 79 NE CREDITON HAMLETS
6/95 Woodland Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably early C16 with major later C16 and C17 alterations. Plastered
cob on rubble footings; cob, brick and rubble stacks; wheat reed thatched roof. 3-
room-and-through-passage house with inner room at south-west end (left of south-
east facing front). Gable-end stack to inner room, projecting front lateral stack
to hall, and C19 lateral stack to rear of service room. C17 gabled stair turret to
rear of hall and C20 outshots to rear. 2 storeys. Irregular 4-window front with
passage door in late C16-early C17 double-ovolo moulded oak frame right of large
projecting hall stack. C19 door to inner room at left end. 2-windows between have
mid-C17 oak frames with external ovolo and internal ogee moulded mullions; 3-
lights to inner room, 4 to hall. A similar 3-light oak window to first floor left.
Other windows have C20 wooden casements. All 3 first floor windows are half-
dormers with gabled roofs and another exists on rear elevation. Stair turret has
small mid C17 oak windows with chamfered mullions; upper of 3 lights to front and
lower of 2 lights on side. An C18 flat-faced mullion, 2-light window to rear of
hall now to C20 outshot. Rear passage doorframe identical to front.
Good interior. Passage lined both sides with C16 oak plank-and-muntin screens
(incomplete on lower side). Both have chamfered muntins with step stops. Inner
and service room crossbeams have same treatment suggesting that they were floored
before 1600 but hall still open into C17. Mid C17 upper hall screen removed but
head beam remains supported on end stile to front with scroll stop and doorpost to
rear with bar runout stop the same treatment as hall crossbeam. To rear of hall a
mid C17 ogee-moulded oak doorframe with cleaved roll stops leads to oak winder
stair which rises over footings of smaller C16 newel turret. Roof at each end
replaced but side-pegged jointed crucks survive over hall and lower side of
passage. Although roof space inaccessible hall truss apparently sooted suggesting
that open hall originally heated by open hearth fire. Cob fireplace with plain
lintel to hall suggests C17 date.
Unmodernised farmhouse with good internal and external detail. It is probably site
of a medieval estate and its name is that of one of eighteen tithings of Crediton
Hundred. First recorded in 1249 (Devon SMR).
Listing NGR: SX7740297049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings