History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bridget

A Grade II Listed Building in West Kirby, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3687 / 53°22'7"N

Longitude: -3.1764 / 3°10'35"W

OS Eastings: 321821

OS Northings: 386408

OS Grid: SJ218864

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y8H.33

Mapcode Global: WH766.5LP9

Entry Name: Church of St Bridget

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242740

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443633

Location: Wirral, CH48

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: West Kirby and Thurstaston

Built-Up Area: West Kirby

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: West Kirby St Bridget

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hoylake

Listing Text

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CHURCH ROAD
(south side)
West Kirby

4/11 Church of
5/6/53 St. Bridget

- II


Church. C14 masonry, heavily restored, remains to chancel,
vestry east bay and north aisle. West tower 1492-1530 .
Restoration, south aisle and vestry west bay, 1869-70. By
Kelly and Edwards. Stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west
tower, chancel, north chapel and vestry. Tower has 2
diagonal buttresses. West entrance has arch with spandrel
quatrefoils and splayed reveals, the jambs panelled, the
lintel with armorial bearings and flowers; label mould. 3-
light Perpendicular west window paired 2-light bell
openings. Cornice and embattled parapet with tracery
panels. North aisle has 3:4:3-light square-headed windows
with cusped lights between deep weathered buttresses.
Gabled timber-framed porch. South aisle has 3-light
Decorated windows to west, south and east. Chancel has 5-
light east window, the tracery head has superimposed cusped
arches, a rare type (renewed). 3-light windows to south
between deep, weathered buttresses. Chapel has 4-light
window, square-headed with transom, and square-headed north
windows, one now obscured by vestry. Vestry east bay under
lean-to roof, west bay gabled with stack to west. Interior:
4-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers; arch-braced roof on
angel corbels, with wind braces. Flat-topped dormers, not
visible on exterior. Chancel arch has low wrought iron
screen and rood on overthrow, by C.E. Kempe Above arch are
relief figures of angels on stencilled ground also by Kempe.
West organ loft (moved from chapel), case by Douglas and
Fordham. C19 font, circular, with relief decoration and
traceried canopy. Canted pulpit has quatrefoils with relief
decoration. Chancel has waggon-boarded roof and 3-bay north
trefoil-headed arcade with wrought iron parclose screen.
Altar and timber reredos, re-used roof from Chester
cathedral. 2 sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Stalls
have traceried bench ends. C17 bench ends in chapel. 2
windows in chancel are c.1860. 19 windows by Kempe
illustrating the development of his style from 1870 to
1906-7.


Listing NGR: SJ2182186408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CHURCH ROAD
(south side)
West Kirby

4/11 Church of
5/6/53 St. Bridget

- II


Church. C14 masonry, heavily restored, remains to chancel,
vestry east bay and north aisle. West tower 1492-1530 .
Restoration, south aisle and vestry west bay, 1869-70. By
Kelly and Edwards. Stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west
tower, chancel, north chapel and vestry. Tower has 2
diagonal buttresses. West entrance has arch with spandrel
quatrefoils and splayed reveals, the jambs panelled, the
lintel with armorial bearings and flowers; label mould. 3-
light Perpendicular west window paired 2-light bell
openings. Cornice and embattled parapet with tracery
panels. North aisle has 3:4:3-light square-headed windows
with cusped lights between deep weathered buttresses.
Gabled timber-framed porch. South aisle has 3-light
Decorated windows to west, south and east. Chancel has 5-
light east window, the tracery head has superimposed cusped
arches, a rare type (renewed). 3-light windows to south
between deep, weathered buttresses. Chapel has 4-light
window, square-headed with transom, and square-headed north
windows, one now obscured by vestry. Vestry east bay under
lean-to roof, west bay gabled with stack to west. Interior:
4-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers; arch-braced roof on
angel corbels, with wind braces. Flat-topped dormers, not
visible on exterior. Chancel arch has low wrought iron
screen and rood on overthrow, by C.E. Kempe Above arch are
relief figures of angels on stencilled ground also by Kempe.
West organ loft (moved from chapel), case by Douglas and
Fordham. C19 font, circular, with relief decoration and
traceried canopy. Canted pulpit has quatrefoils with relief
decoration. Chancel has waggon-boarded roof and 3-bay north
trefoil-headed arcade with wrought iron parclose screen.
Altar and timber reredos, re-used roof from Chester
cathedral. 2 sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Stalls
have traceried bench ends. C17 bench ends in chapel. 2
windows in chancel are c.1860. 19 windows by Kempe
illustrating the development of his style from 1870 to
1906-7.


Listing NGR: SJ2182186408

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.