History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in West Kirby, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3762 / 53°22'34"N

Longitude: -3.1858 / 3°11'8"W

OS Eastings: 321210

OS Northings: 387244

OS Grid: SJ212872

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y6D.2G

Mapcode Global: WH766.1D7M

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 20 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443651

Location: Wirral, CH48

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Hoylake and Meols

Built-Up Area: West Kirby

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: West Kirby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hoylake

Listing Text

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE MEOLS DRIVE
(east side)
West Kirby

4/30 Church of
- St. Andrew

- II

Church. Begun 1889-91, by Douglas and Fordham. Completed
1907-9, by Douglas and Minshull. Snecked stone with ashlar
dressings and slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to
roofs, crossing, north and south transepts, and chancel. 5-
bay nave, aisles with 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery between large weathered buttresses, clerestory has
3-light straight-headed windows. North and south gable
porches with raking lateral buttresses. West end has 4-
light window with flanking gabled buttresses and
consecration stone. Crossing has coped gables to north and
south. Unusual slate-hung spire set diagonally with slate-
hung pinnacles flanking louvred bell-openings. Transepts
have deep weathered buttresses, that to south has 4-light
window with shield in tracery, and paired 2-light windows to
east, that to north has paired 2-light windows with 4-light
window above, east paired round windows. Chancel has
embattled parapet with tracery panels, paired 3-light north
and south windows, and 5-light east window with flanking
statues in niches and satin inscription above and below,
gable has statue in niche. North west octagonal stair
turret. Interior: 5 bay nave on octagonal piers, waggon
roof with wall shafts. Octagonal font has tracery panels and
timber cover with crocketed pinnacles. West wall has
panelling with coving. Crossing has choir stalls and low
west wall. North organ loft over vestry. South chapel has
parclose screens. Choir and sancturary arches are
corbelled. Reredos 1911 by G. Webb, with canopied figures.
Sedilia and piscina to south. Good glass to north aisle,
chapel and chancel by H. Bryams, influenced by Kempe.


Listing NGR: SJ2121087244

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE MEOLS DRIVE
(east side)
West Kirby

4/30 Church of
- St. Andrew

- II

Church. Begun 1889-91, by Douglas and Fordham. Completed
1907-9, by Douglas and Minshull. Snecked stone with ashlar
dressings and slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to
roofs, crossing, north and south transepts, and chancel. 5-
bay nave, aisles with 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery between large weathered buttresses, clerestory has
3-light straight-headed windows. North and south gable
porches with raking lateral buttresses. West end has 4-
light window with flanking gabled buttresses and
consecration stone. Crossing has coped gables to north and
south. Unusual slate-hung spire set diagonally with slate-
hung pinnacles flanking louvred bell-openings. Transepts
have deep weathered buttresses, that to south has 4-light
window with shield in tracery, and paired 2-light windows to
east, that to north has paired 2-light windows with 4-light
window above, east paired round windows. Chancel has
embattled parapet with tracery panels, paired 3-light north
and south windows, and 5-light east window with flanking
statues in niches and satin inscription above and below,
gable has statue in niche. North west octagonal stair
turret. Interior: 5 bay nave on octagonal piers, waggon
roof with wall shafts. Octagonal font has tracery panels and
timber cover with crocketed pinnacles. West wall has
panelling with coving. Crossing has choir stalls and low
west wall. North organ loft over vestry. South chapel has
parclose screens. Choir and sancturary arches are
corbelled. Reredos 1911 by G. Webb, with canopied figures.
Sedilia and piscina to south. Good glass to north aisle,
chapel and chancel by H. Bryams, influenced by Kempe.


Listing NGR: SJ2121087244

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.