This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1621 / 52°9'43"N
Longitude: -2.1966 / 2°11'47"W
OS Eastings: 386644
OS Northings: 251560
OS Grid: SO866515
Mapcode National: GBR 1GK.HF9
Mapcode Global: VH92T.WX2C
Entry Name: The Cottage
Listing Date: 3 August 1972
Last Amended: 16 September 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 443824
Location: Norton Juxta Kempsey, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR5
Civil Parish: Norton Juxta Kempsey
Built-Up Area: Norton
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Norton
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
A timber-framed cottage of one storey with attic and two rooms to each floor of late-C17 or early-C18 date to which an extension housing a kitchen and bathroom was added in the late-C20. Despite some repairs and minor alterations the building remains notably intact.
A cottage of late-C17 or early-C18 date with C20 additions and alterations. The building is timber framed with later brick infill and colour washed and has a reed thatched roof. It has a single storey with an attic. The C20 kitchen and bathroom addition, which is attached to the eastern gable end, is single-storied and rendered. The original cottage has two rooms to each floor with hearths to each gabled end.
EXTERIOR: The northern and southern flank walls have panels of small-framing with angle braces to the upper corners and at either side of the cross wall, which is to east of centre. The two-light casements on both fronts are replacements of C20 date which replicate the pattern of former, C19 windows. There is a plank door at left of centre on the north front, but a doorway at left on the south side was blocked in the late-C20. The two, first floor windows on the southern side are set in eyebrow dormers. There are no windows to the first floor of the north side. The western gable end has a stack of rubble stone with offsets and a brick chimney. The stack at the eastern end is entirely of C20 brick.
INTERIOR: Timber framing shows to the walls on both floors and there are angled braces and jowled corner posts supporting the roof trusses which have ties and angled struts. The ground floor rooms have original joists and heavy, axial spinal beams. The floor has been replaced by a concrete raft. The C20 staircase is of pine. The upper floor has its original purlins and wind braces.
The building appears have originated in the late-C17 or early-C18 in date. The cottage was originally surrounded by farm land, but later development has made Broomhall part of the suburbs of Worcester. The cottage was derelict by 1940 when it was leased by the Army to the family of the present owners, who later bought the property. A kitchen and bathroom extension was added to the east gable end in 1979-80. The property was restored in 1995-6, and this involved the replacement of timbers in the southern flank wall and windows across the building. The thatch was last replaced in 2006 with reed.
The Cottage, Broomhall, Worcestershire is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: The building is a good example of a modest agricultural cottage of the late-C17 or early-C18 which retains much of its original appearance.
* Intactness: Despite some degree of alteration, the timber frame and plan remains largely intact.
Other nearby listed buildings