This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2704 / 51°16'13"N
Longitude: -1.0924 / 1°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 463414
OS Northings: 152747
OS Grid: SU634527
Mapcode National: GBR B6H.6N9
Mapcode Global: VHD08.0BVH
Plus Code: 9C3W7WC5+43
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Ghost
Listing Date: 28 September 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 444008
Location: Norden, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG21
Electoral Ward/Division: Norden
Built-Up Area: Basingstoke
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Basingstoke
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
The following building shall be added:-
SU65SW SHERBORNE ROAD
2/10003 Church of the Holy Ghost
Roman Catholic church. 1902. By and for Canon A.J.C. Scoles.
Dressed flint with ashlar dressings; some red brick in
stretcher bond; Roman tile roof. 5 bay nave, the eastern bay
having northern transept, comprising Lady Chapel, and southern
entrance by Presbytery. Asidal, sanctuary (9 windows).
Octagonal bell tower on south side, in angle with Presbytery.
In High Victorian Gothic style following the Early English
style and having offset butresses; 2-light plate-traceried
windows with hoodmoulds, single-light windows to apse, and
west window of 3 stepped lights with attached columns. West
end: entrance has architrave of 3 orders and tympanum with
low-relief carving; 3 blind recesses pierced with quatrefoils;
gable cross. Lady Chapel: gabled, with statue of Madonna amd
child in niche over window, gable cross, and pentafoil west
and east windows. Bell tower: chamfered plinth; quoined
angles; moulded bands; stair lit by single-light windows;
louvred lights to bell stage; corbelled eaves band; slate
spire with slender cross. INTERIOR: richly painted and
decorated by N.H.J. Westlake, (stations of cross c1930), the
paintings restored 1991-92. In the Sanctuary and Lady Chapel
polished marble columns support decorative archivolts.
Polished stone altars and reredoses and, at east end,
tabernacle for cross. Vaulted roof to Sanctuary. Compartmental
roof to nave with foliate capitals carrying vaults.
Decoratively-carved stone font and pulpit (1928). Decorative
brass lanterns. In one of the souther nave windows is inset a
piece of early-mid C16 glass, originally from the chapel at
Vyne House, Basingstoke. West gallery inserted c1965; pews
replaced mid-late 20.
Canon Scoles also designed and built churches at Bridgewater
and Yeovil (in his previous diocese of Clifton), and a western
extension for Portsmouth Roman Catholic Cathedral (q.v.). This
church in Basingstoke is the last and best of his work. On his
death in 1920 he was buried next to the Sanctuary. The
tombstone commemorates Canon A.J.C. Scoles, d1920, architect
and patron of the church; stepped ridged gravestone with roll
mouldings, moulded gablets and surmounted by crucifixion; it
is situated in the angle of the Lady Chapel and Sanctuary.
Listing NGR: SU6223851421
Other nearby listed buildings