This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3863 / 51°23'10"N
Longitude: -2.3507 / 2°21'2"W
OS Eastings: 375689
OS Northings: 165307
OS Grid: ST756653
Mapcode National: GBR 0QJ.0HH
Mapcode Global: VH96M.6FM3
Plus Code: 9C3V9JPX+GP
Entry Name: Ladies' Public Lavatories Circa 50 Metres North of Holburne of Menstrie Museum
Listing Date: 30 October 1987
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 512488
Location: Bathwick, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Bathwick
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Ladies' public lavatories, dating from c.1914, cast by the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow to MacFarlane's patent design.
MATERIALS: The structure is of cast iron, with a glass roof.
PLAN: The structure is roughly rectangular on plan, with cubicles to either side of a central passage.
EXTERIOR: The structure is based on a rectangular tubular framework which supports cast iron panels with decorative bands, over a plinth, dado and top; the plinth is articulated by decorative frames, with square decorative panels to dado level; and the top has a pierced ventilation frieze.
INTERIOR: The open entrance is screened by grille doors to opposing central openings, with three cubicles to either side.
HISTORY: Sydney Gardens were laid out as commercial pleasure grounds between 1792 and 1794; the initial design was by the architect Thomas Baldwin, who, after he went bankrupt, was replaced by Charles Harcourt Masters in 1794. They were opened on 11 May 1795 as Sydney Gardens Vauxhall, and rapidly became a popular place of entertainment, hosting public breakfasts, promenades and galas. The main building was the Sydney Tavern, which stood at the western end of the central walk. In 1799, a section of the Kennet and Avon Canal was cut through the gardens; and during the early C19, additional features and structures were introduced, adding variety and surprise in accordance with landscape design principles of the period. From c.1839, a section of the Great Western Railway was constructed, cutting through the gardens. In 1891, when the original 99-year lease of the Gardens expired, the entire site, including the Tavern, by then in use as a college, was sold. In 1908, the site was purchased by Bath City Council; the gardens were opened to the public as a municipal park in 1913, while the Tavern was remodelled into the Holburne of Menstrie Museum. The lavatories were added c.1914, a cast iron structure having been chosen for its economy. In the late C20, additional facilities including new lavatories were introduced, making the cast-iron lavatories redundant. The gardens remain in use as a public park.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The ladies' lavatories in Sydney Gardens are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* An unusually complete survival of industrial prefabrication as applied to this specialised and vital building type, which represents an increasingly rare survival of this type of street furniture
* Despite its being a mass-produced structure, the casting is of good quality, and the building is far more decorative than would be strictly necessary for utility
* Group value with the nearby gentlemen's lavatories of similar date, and the other listed buildings and structures within Sydney Gardens
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings