History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Potterne, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3236 / 51°19'24"N

Longitude: -2.0168 / 2°1'0"W

OS Eastings: 398926

OS Northings: 158274

OS Grid: ST989582

Mapcode National: GBR 2V6.T3L

Mapcode Global: VHB4G.0Z5Q

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446642

Location: Potterne, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Potterne

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Potterne

Listing Text

ST 9958 POTTERNE WORTON ROAD

14/177 The Manor House

GV II

Country House, now County Fire Bridgade HQ, later C18 extended
1888-9 in similar style, ashlar with hipped slate roofs and ashlar
stacks. Two storeys, L-plan extended to roughly square. Main
south front of 1:3:1:3:1 windows, the centre and angle bays set
back flanking projecting sections with full-height canted 3-window
bays. Windows in moulded architraves, 12-pane sashes to first
floor, C19 plate glass sashes below. Centre has glazed door with
overlight set in shallow screen of 2 Roman Doric columns in antis.
Across whole front, raised plinth, panelled band, modillion cornice
and parapet. Broad 3-window east entrance front has similar
detail to outer bays but projecting centre added 1889, with dentil
cornice, paired first floor sashes over broad panel with roundel
monogram of J.R.G. Gwatkin and glazed door with overlight and
sidelights set behind screen of 2 columns on high base. West
front, partly screened by brick additions is in similar style to
main front but may be mostly of 1888-9, 4-window range, with
tripartite sashes to each floor in one bay, 12-pane sashes to rest
of first floor and C19 three-light mullion window and door in C19
tiled porch to ground floor. North end wall, to road, is blank
with main mouldings carried across and large carved Gwatkin arms to
first floor, dated 1889. Recessed rear of main range is 3-storey,
apparently late C19. Interior not inspected.
Manor of Potterne was held by the Bishops of Salisbury until 1836,
a Manor House is mentioned in a lease of 1770. In 1836 sold to
Major H. S. Olivier and in 1878 to J. Gwatkin.


Listing NGR: ST9892658274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.