History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Haywood, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8004 / 52°48'1"N

Longitude: -2.005 / 2°0'18"W

OS Eastings: 399756

OS Northings: 322541

OS Grid: SJ997225

Mapcode National: GBR 28D.HWM

Mapcode Global: WHBDW.5VGZ

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 23 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446528

Location: Colwich, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST18

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Colwich

Built-Up Area: Great Haywood

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Haywood St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shugborough

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

COLWICH GREAT HAYWOOD
SJ 92 SE
603-0/19/10005 Church of St Stephen
II

Church. 1840 by T.Trubshaw; largely rebuilt 1858 by H.J.Stevens
of Derby for patron the 2nd Earl of Lichfield. Deeply-coursed,
dressed sandstone; graduated slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one
with north vestry and west bellcote; separately-roofed south
aisle having porches to south and to west end. Gothic Revival
style: Perpendicular details. Plinth, offset buttresses. Nave and
aisle lit by square-headed mullioned windows with cusped lights;
traceried, pointed-arched windows to east and west gables, head-
carved hoodmould stops; diamond-pane leaded lights. Shaped
kneelers and ashlar gable copings with apex crosses. Nave: north
windows of 3, 2 and 5 lights; gabled vestry with 2-light window.
Buttresses flank tall west window with panel tracery; buttressed
bellcote. South aisle: windows 3,2 and 4 lights on left of gabled
porch having colonettes to pointed arch. West porch has Tudor
arch and parapet. 4-light east windows to aisle and chancel.
Chancel also has 2 pointed windows to north with cusping and
geometrical tracery. Interior: 4:1 bay Perpendicular arcade;
moulded lozenge-section piers with colonettes. Ornate false
hammer-beam trusses set on foliage-carved corbels which are
doubled near the chancel. Octagonal stone font with traceried and
quatrefoiled panels. 2 aisles with patterned and encaustic
tiling. C19 oak pews - those of the Anson family (Earl of
Lichfield) face north at east end of aisle. Nave has west organ
chamber with Stringer organ of 1886. Monuments: 1914 alabaster
cartouche near pulpit is to Thomas George, 2nd Earl of Lichfield
(d 1892) and his family. Various wall monuments near Anson pews
also a brass plaque in oakleaf architrave. At west end of aisle
a brass plaque records the "liberality" of the 2nd Earl in'his
patronage of the 1858 rebuilding.


Listing NGR: SJ9975622541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

The following building shall be added:

COLWICH GREAT HAYWOOD
SJ 92 SE
603-0/19/10005 Church of St Stephen
II

Church. 1840 by T.Trubshaw; largely rebuilt 1858 by H.J.Stevens
of Derby for patron the 2nd Earl of Lichfield. Deeply-coursed,
dressed sandstone; graduated slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one
with north vestry and west bellcote; separately-roofed south
aisle having porches to south and to west end. Gothic Revival
style: Perpendicular details. Plinth, offset buttresses. Nave and
aisle lit by square-headed mullioned windows with cusped lights;
traceried, pointed-arched windows to east and west gables, head-
carved hoodmould stops; diamond-pane leaded lights. Shaped
kneelers and ashlar gable copings with apex crosses. Nave: north
windows of 3, 2 and 5 lights; gabled vestry with 2-light window.
Buttresses flank tall west window with panel tracery; buttressed
bellcote. South aisle: windows 3,2 and 4 lights on left of gabled
porch having colonettes to pointed arch. West porch has Tudor
arch and parapet. 4-light east windows to aisle and chancel.
Chancel also has 2 pointed windows to north with cusping and
geometrical tracery. Interior: 4:1 bay Perpendicular arcade;
moulded lozenge-section piers with colonettes. Ornate false
hammer-beam trusses set on foliage-carved corbels which are
doubled near the chancel. Octagonal stone font with traceried and
quatrefoiled panels. 2 aisles with patterned and encaustic
tiling. C19 oak pews - those of the Anson family (Earl of
Lichfield) face north at east end of aisle. Nave has west organ
chamber with Stringer organ of 1886. Monuments: 1914 alabaster
cartouche near pulpit is to Thomas George, 2nd Earl of Lichfield
(d 1892) and his family. Various wall monuments near Anson pews
also a brass plaque in oakleaf architrave. At west end of aisle
a brass plaque records the "liberality" of the 2nd Earl in'his
patronage of the 1858 rebuilding.


Listing NGR: SJ9975622541

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.