This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3631 / 51°21'47"N
Longitude: -1.9913 / 1°59'28"W
OS Eastings: 400699
OS Northings: 162674
OS Grid: SU006626
Mapcode National: GBR 2TV.FCG
Mapcode Global: VHB48.FZMX
Entry Name: Roundway House
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447044
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Roundway
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ROUNDWAY ROUNDWAY PARK
SU 06 SW
5/219 Roundway House
Two sides of stable court of demolished Roundway Park, late C18,
probably by James Wyatt. Ashlar with slate roofs, 2 storeys, L-
plan. Plinth, string course, moulded cornice and parapet. Left
range has been altered in conversion to house, 2:5:2 window range
with centre projecting slightly. Sides have 6-pane upper windows
over 12-pane lower windows. Centre has first floor oval light and
6-pane window each side, no centre opening. Oval lights are C20.
Ground floor has 2 large blank arches framing C20 twelve-pane
sashes with oval plaques over and centre C20 open pedimented
doorcase, which replaces a similar blank arch framing an arched
doorway. C20 eight-pane sash to ground floor each side. Long
entrance range of 5:3:5 bays, the wings with 6-pane upper windows
and ground floor 12-pane windows, 6-panel doors with overlights in
end bays of each wing. Centrepiece in triumphal arch form, high
central carriage arch, slightly projected side bays with arched-
headed double doors, string course and 6-pane upper windows. Side
bays have blind balustrading, centre has raised attic with pediment
over round clock. Panelled piers each side. Rear of this range
is similar but openings mostly blind and alternating arched panels
with rectangular panels on ground floor, circular panels with
square panels above. End bays of wings project slightly.
Roundway Park was built 1777-83 for J. Sutton by James Wyatt,
altered 1841-2 by T. Finden for E.F. Colston and held by the
Colston family, Lords Roundway until c1948. The house was
demolished in 1955.
Listing NGR: SU0069962674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings