This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.029 / 51°1'44"N
Longitude: -2.5588 / 2°33'31"W
OS Eastings: 360907
OS Northings: 125663
OS Grid: ST609256
Mapcode National: GBR MS.HFJW
Mapcode Global: FRA 56JD.GXR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 24 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445885
Location: Sparkford, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Sparkford
Built-Up Area: Sparkford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SPARKFORD CP CHURCH ROAD (East side)
4/166 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Parish church. C14 and later; nave 1824 by Thomas Ellis. Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings;
Welsh slate roofs over stone slate base courses between coped gables. Four-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave,
south-east vestry and south chapel with organ over, with west tower embracing shallow porch. Chancel mostly C14/15;
chamfered plinth, angled corner buttresses, gabletted cross coping finial: east window 3-light C15 tracery, set in
hollow chamfered recess under square stop arched label; single 2-light window to each side, set flush without labels
could be C14 tracery; projecting south-east vestry without buttresses: coped south gable with cross finial; Y-tracery
2-light window in south wall, and segmental pointed arched doorway in west wall. Nave plain, without plinth or
buttresses, having simple Y-tracery pointed arched windows, 3 to north and 2 to south, latter flanking projecting
chapel and organ chamber, which has matching window in south wall; in both returns fragments of rural character C15
tracery, adapted as 2-light windows to the low level chapel; on west side door at upper level with flight of stone
steps and simple wrot iron guide rails. Tower C14/C15 in 3 stages; double plinth, string courses and battlemented
parapet corner pinnacles of odd pattern, probably C19; angled corner buttresses to full height, corner gargoyles:
west door - the main entrance - has moulded 4-centre arch under square label with square stops, spandrils uncarved;
above a C14/15 traceried 3-light window with arched square stop label; at second stage level a shallow statue niche on
west side, with very rural detailed flattish canopy; on south side trefoil cusped single light window; to upper stage
all round 2-light C15 traceried windows in hollow chamfered recesses without labels, all fitted with timber louvres; in
north east corner a square plan stair turret to full height with slit windows. Interior mostly C19 in character,
chancel has 3-plane rib and panel roof with bosses; rendered walls, no arch into vestry; chancel arch standard C15 roll
and hollow moulded. Nave has similar ceiling, plain walls; tower arch probably C14 with double chamfer mou1d and bell
capitals, with slim early C19 porch with fielded panel doors to west. Fittings include C19 choirstalls incorporating a
number of fine C16 bench ends; a C17 altar table and wood pulpit, the latter with new lower panels having the IHS
monogram; font probably C19; nave seats of wood and cast iron, park bench style; good C20 panelling to chapel under
organ loft in south wall. One early memorial, a brass plate to Johes Clyke, died 1513, First recorder rector 1297.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).
Listing NGR: ST6090725663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings