This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0226 / 51°1'21"N
Longitude: -2.5566 / 2°33'23"W
OS Eastings: 361058
OS Northings: 124947
OS Grid: ST610249
Mapcode National: GBR MS.HVFG
Mapcode Global: FRA 56JD.XFS
Plus Code: 9C3V2CFV+29
Entry Name: Church of The Holy Cross
Listing Date: 24 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447194
Location: Sparkford, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Sparkford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of The Holy Cross
Anglican parish church. C13, refurbished C15, C19 refitting. Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables ,with gabletted cross finials. Two cell plan of two-bay chancel, three-bay nave, with north-west corner vestry, south porch and west tower.
Chancel has chamfered plinth, eaves course, angled corner buttresses: east window three-light C15 traceried with pointed arched, square stopped label; on north side a two-light window to match, then projecting C19 vestry with gabled north wall and matching two-light window, shouldered arched doorway in west wall and pair small cusped lancet windows in east window; on south site two two-light windows and between then a blocked chamfered four-centre arched doorway with "Domus mea, Domus Orationis" carved on lintel in C16 script; set in this doorway and under window to left two fielded panels, possibly trod a chest tomb.
Nave has chamfered plinth, eaves course and bay buttresses; in north wall a cusped flat-headed window without label, and to left a blocked C15 doorway with square stopped, four-centre arched label; on south side two three-light C15 traceried windows with pointed arched square stopped labels, and between them the south porch: gabled, with side buttresses and segmental pointed outer arch, and single cusped lancet window to each side; inner doorway a plain four-centre archway moulded to runouts.
Tower probably C13 at base, square and squat; four stages with stepped broaches to base of stage three where tower becomes octagonal; plinth string courses, battlemented parapet with small metal weathervane: lowest stage has a single small lancet window in west face, and above this, in stage two, an ogee arched recess containing cross inserted to commemorate Coronation of George V in 1911: to each cardinal face of top stage small two-light, four-centred arched windows under square labels, with timber baffles; water spouts on north and south faces.
Inside remodelled and stripped of plaster in C19: both chancel and nave have vaulted ceilings of timber boarded panels and moulded rib with bosses to chancel; rere-arches to all windows: chancel arch a double chamfer with single depressed bell-capitals and unusual base details, squint to both sides. Chancel furniture probably early C20, the screen late C19. Nave plain, with very low plain pointed arch into tower; in north wall remains of steps to rood loft and recess for former doorway.
Fittings include early C17 timber pulpit with carved panels, on later base; one pew has pair of very decorative traceried bench ends; font in tower has round bowl with cable-mould to base, on simple octagonal stand, possibly C12. Memorials include line white marble cartouche on south nave wall to Grace Lydford, died 1726.
Mounted on south wall of tower three bell clappers of c1450, removed when bells rehung in 1914.
First known rector prior to 1309.
Listing NGR: ST6105824947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings