This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8344 / 53°50'3"N
Longitude: -2.2202 / 2°13'12"W
OS Eastings: 385607
OS Northings: 437595
OS Grid: SD856375
Mapcode National: GBR DSY3.46
Mapcode Global: WHB7Q.VWYB
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186333
Location: Nelson, Pendle, Lancashire, BB9
Civil Parish: Nelson
Built-Up Area: Nelson (Pendle)
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Nelson Little Marsden
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 83 NE
Church of St Mary
Church. 1879 with addition of west bay and tower 1905-8. By Waddington & Dunkerley. Ashlar with slate roofs. Nave with lean-to aisles, chancel and west tower and spire. Nave and aisles of 6 bays, the aisles with 2-light plate-traceried windows, the clerestory with alternate groups of 2 and 3 lancets. Gabled, buttressed porch to 1st bay on south side. Chancel a little lower with 2-light windows in colonnaded arches, and steeply pointed east window of 4 lights with quatrefoils in the head. Small 3-light window in gable apex. Organ loft projects under cross-roof from south side of chancel. Low, steeply offset buttresses to all sides. Tall, severe, west tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses dying into canted pinnacles which recede into the minor faces of octagonal spire, the cardinal faces having tall lucarnes. 3-light west window with cusping and arcaded belfry stages with tall single louvres. Interior not inspected.
In use as a church at the date of listing but converted to a training centre, teaching traditional building skills, in 2012.
Listing NGR: SD8560737595
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings