History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leeds and Liverpool Canal Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Nelson, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8384 / 53°50'18"N

Longitude: -2.2193 / 2°13'9"W

OS Eastings: 385666

OS Northings: 438036

OS Grid: SD856380

Mapcode National: GBR DSY1.BS

Mapcode Global: WHB7Q.WSC9

Entry Name: Leeds and Liverpool Canal Warehouse

Listing Date: 16 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 448306

Location: Nelson, Pendle, Lancashire, BB9

County: Lancashire

District: Pendle

Civil Parish: Nelson

Built-Up Area: Nelson (Pendle)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Nelson Little Marsden

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Barrowford

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

SD 85 38 NELSON CARR ROAD
Leeds-Liverpool Canal
Warehouse
1317-0/0/10000
II

Canal warehouse. Unoccupied at time of inspection (February 1992).
c1876, for the Leeds-Liverpool Canal Company, probably by Mr White;
altered. Red brick in English bond, with sandstone quoins and
dressings plinth of large dressed sandstone blocks, and slate roof.
Almost rectangular plan parallel to and immediately adjoining canal.
Three storeys, 4:4:2 windows to the canal, with loading bays between
these groups and a pitched canopy at 1st-floor from the 7th to the
11th windows, with boarded sides, fretted fringe and corrugated
asbestos sheet roof. Segmental-headed 16-pane windows with raised
sills, gauged brick arches with keystones and springing blocks, and
cast-iron glazing bars which include tilting casement openings. Full-
height 3-stage loading bays with quoins jambs and short loading
stages, that to the right protected by light-weight asbestos-clad
housing with hipped glazed roof above eaves level. Five downspout
slots; unusual frieze of bright red brick panels in raised stone
framing; roof with 4 large skylights and gable copings. Left (north)
gable-wall canted back. Right-hand gable wall has altered 2-stage
loading doors served by iron crane mounted on quay and-attached to
front corner. Rear has continuous parallel loading bay with pitched
corrugated sheet roof and fretted wooden fringe, carried on latticed
girder supported by 3 cast-iron columns with protective oval
pedestals; loading slots corresponding to those at the front, with
iron doors, both protected by housings with hipped roofs; 3 doorways
at ground floor with iron doors; fenestration similar to front but
less regular. Interior not inspected. HISTORY': one of 9 new
warehouses built by the company between 1874 and 1879 at various
places between Leeds and Liverpool.


Listing NGR: SD8566638036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.