This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7196 / 53°43'10"N
Longitude: -1.9146 / 1°54'52"W
OS Eastings: 405735
OS Northings: 424803
OS Grid: SE057248
Mapcode National: GBR HT2F.9C
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.KRJV
Plus Code: 9C5WP39P+R5
Entry Name: The Old Congregational Church
Listing Date: 29 April 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243556
English Heritage Legacy ID: 446344
Location: Calderdale, HX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Warley
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Warley St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
The Old Congregational Church
SE 02 SE 7/133
Dated 1845. Sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Then more a Church Commissioners
type, unusually in a Tudor-gothic style. Battlemented gable end 3 bay front with
gabled centrepiece flanked by octagonal turrets, their top 2 storeys ashlar faced and
venellated with vertical porch. Pierced balustraded coping to gable with clock face =
in apex and date inscribed. Coved string carried over turrets from side bays.
High set weathered sill string. Flanking bays have 4 centred arch single lights in
chamfered surrounds with drip moulds. Large 3 light mullioned transomed lancet group
to centrepiece under 4 centred arch with drip mould. 4 centred arch doorway reused
for 2 orders. 4 bays each side articulated by shallow buttresses, plain parapet.
2 light mullioned full height windows with diamond headed glazing under Tudor drip
mould arches. Reset date stone confirming early C18 foundation of 1705 (repaired
1805 before rebuild) in rear gable end. Large 3 light "east" window with similar
Perp, detail. Interior although altered as residence retains good "Perpendicula" cast
iron staircase rising behind central doorway as imperial split flight to serve gallery
with mahogany handrail and cantilevered ashlar stops. Gallery remains in post with
quatrefoil panelling. Cusped roof trusses. Crucial village centre site at T junction.
Listing NGR: SE0573524802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings