This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2817 / 51°16'54"N
Longitude: 0.1214 / 0°7'16"E
OS Eastings: 548044
OS Northings: 155756
OS Grid: TQ480557
Mapcode National: GBR LLJ.FJF
Mapcode Global: VHHPR.210R
Plus Code: 9F3274JC+MG
Entry Name: Combe Bank
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448051
Location: Sundridge with Ide Hill, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14
Civil Parish: Sundridge with Ide Hill
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Sundridge St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5280 SUNDRIDGE SUNDRIDGE
Combe Bank Road
(Convent of the Holy Child Jesus)
TQ 4855 32/1259 10.9.54.
The original building, 2nd quarter of C18 by Roger Morris. 5-bay Palladian
villa with 2 and a half-storey side bays, under low pyramidal roofs, 2-storey
centre with balustraded parapet, pyramidal slated roof and central cupola.
Sash windows with glazing bars in moulded architraves, those on ground floor
rusticated, and with pediments in side bays. Rendered elevations with stone
quoins and dressings. Ground floor porch and Ionic screen added by Norman Shaw
circa 1900. Similar 5-bay left return. Pedimented projecting centre on garden
front. Inside several rooms of modest size retain complete original decorations;
ie chimney pieces, panelling and enrichments to doors and windows; and coved
ceilings with ornamental plaster work. Graceful wrought iron staircase in late
C18 style. House built for Col John Campbell, afterwards Duke of Argyle.
In 1879-80 it was owned by Dr William Spottiswoode the President of the Royal
Society, who had the Saloon redecorated by Walter Crane as a library. Very
rich, in bronze, silver and gold, with an early C17 Venetian frieze of putti.
Fireplace signed and dated 1880, and all completely preserved.
North addition of 1807 contains drawing room and ballroom (the latter now a
chapel) with convincing Adam style decoration by Walter Cave. The house was
the childhood home of Cardinal Manning.
Listing NGR: TQ4803955747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings