This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9832 / 52°58'59"N
Longitude: -0.8801 / 0°52'48"W
OS Eastings: 475283
OS Northings: 343457
OS Grid: SK752434
Mapcode National: GBR BL6.SDQ
Mapcode Global: WHFJ1.G84V
Plus Code: 9C4XX4M9+7X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243797
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448128
Location: Hawksworth, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Hawksworth
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hawksworth
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
HAWKSWORTH MAIN STREET
SK 74 SE
(south east side)
5/102 Church of St. Mary
and All Saints
Parish church. Tower C13 and late C17. Nave rebuilt 1812.
North aisle 1837. Chancel rebuilt 1851 by Rev. G. H. Smyttan.
Coursed and squared rubble and brick, dressed stone. Ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel,
combined vestry and organ chamber. West tower. 2 stages.
Coursed rubble, ashlar and brick. Chamfered eaves band and
crenellated parapet. To west, 2 pairs corner buttresses, 4
setoffs. To east, 2 buttresses, 6 setoffs. First stage has to
south, a chamfered lancet. To west, restored C13 door with
filleted shafts and roll moulding, round bases and capitals and
hood mould. Second stage has to south, re-set Cll tympanum
showing Adoration of the Cross, with inscription "Gauterus et uxor
eius Cecilina fecerunt facere ecclesiam istam in (h)onore ori uri
et sce. Marie Virginis et omnium scorum dei simul." Above,
chamfered and rebated C17 bell opening and clock, 1873. North
side has similar opening and clock. West side has chamfered
double lancet with Y tracery. Above, east and west sides have
each a double lancet bell opening. Nave, 2 bays, has moulded
coped parapet and east gable. To south, 3 re-set C14 gargoyles.
South side has 2 lancets with Y tracery. North aisle, 3 bays, has
textured quoins, moulded eaves band and coped parapet. West end
has chamfered lancet with hood mould and stops. North side has 2
double lancets with Y tracery and Tudor arched reveals, and to
right, door with similar head. All have hood moulds and mask
stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth and coped east gable
with kneelers and cross. East end has 2 pairs of corner
buttresses, single setoff, and sill band. C14 style triple lancet
with Decorated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has
partial sill band with mask stop. Off-centre pointed priest's
door with head inscribed '1851'. To left, single lancet and to
right, similar triple lancet, both with trefoil heads. Lean-to
vestry and organ chamber, single bay, has a coped gable. North
side has a C13 style doorway. East end has re-set restored C13
chamfered lancet with hood mould. Tower chamber forming west
porch has west window with C19 patterned stained glass. North
wall has 6 bay C19 arcaded panel with clustered shafts, inscribed
with the Beatitudes. Tower arch, C13, restored, has cove
moulding and rectangular responds. Chamfered capitals with
rebated corners. Nave north arcade, 3 bays, has 2 round piers
with matching responds, with octagonal plinths and moulded bases.
C19 Romanesque style capitals with waterleaf, cable moulding and
strapwork. Arches, C13, restored, double chamfered and rebated,
have hood moulds with nailhead and mask stops. South side east
window has patterned stained glass. Roof, C15, restored, with
chamfered timbers. 7 wooden corbels, some with moulded ends.
Double ridge piece to west, single to east. North aisle has
lean-to roof restored C20. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has
double chamfer and rebate. Matching responds with simply moulded
capitals and bases. Chancel has chamfered and moulded openings
with painted decoration and texts around heads. North side has
to west, Tudor arched opening to organ chamber and to its right,
door and double aumbry with roll moulding and trefoil heads.
East end has inscribed marble curb on windowsill and window with
stained glass by Wailes, 1851. South side has to east, chamfered
trefoil headed piscina and to west, doorway flanked by single
lancets with C19 patterned stained glass. Arch-braced principal
rafter roof with collars. Moulded corbels and wall plate have
painted texts. Fittings include font, C14 with octagonal stem
and water holding base and C19 octagonal bowl with dogtooth band.
Mid C19 brass lectern. Late C19 traceried panelled stalls and
desks with shaped ends and arm rests. Linked chairs. C19 poor
box on C12 chamfered and moulded wooden stem. Moulded altar rail
on foliate iron stems. 12 foliate iron wall sconces, 2 mid C19
brass and sheet metal chandeliers, 2 foliate candle brackets.
Memorials include large section of Anglo-Saxon cross shaft with
incised decoration. C19 painted stone tablets with Creed and
Lord's Prayer. 3 marble tablets, early C19. Small brass,
probably C18. Marble war memorial tablet c.1920. Memorial
inscriptions on chancel walls, 1700, 1878, 1906.
Listing NGR: SK7528343457
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings