This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9493 / 52°56'57"N
Longitude: -0.8926 / 0°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 474501
OS Northings: 339674
OS Grid: SK745396
Mapcode National: GBR BLR.34X
Mapcode Global: WHFJ7.846B
Plus Code: 9C4XW4X4+PX
Entry Name: Church of St John of Beverley
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448185
Location: Whatton-in-the-Vale, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Whatton-in-the-Vale
Built-Up Area: Whatton-in-the-Vale
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Whatton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
WHATTON CHURCH STREET
SK 73 NW
(north west side)
6/159 Church of St. John
Parish church. Cll, C14. North aisle C14. Chancel and south
aisle rebuilt 1846. Nave and tower rebuilt by Rev. T. Butler,
1870. Dressed stone and ashlar. Slate roofs. Chamfered and
moulded plinths, sill bands, moulded eaves. Coped gables, some
with crosses. Nave, north aisle, north porch, Cranmer Chapel,
chancel, south aisle, south porch, crossing tower. Nave
clerestory, 3 bays, has on each side, 2 trefoil and single
quatrefoil windows, C19, with hood moulds. West end has restored
C14 quadruple lancet, with Decorated tracery and hood mould.
Above, small quatrefoil light with hood mould. North aisle, 3
bays, has to east a buttress and a pair of corner buttresses, 2
setoffs. To left of north porch, projecting stepped stair
enclosure now forming chimney stack. West end has restored
triple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould. North
side has to left, C19 Decorated style triple lancet. To right,
C14 reticulated triple lancet. Both have C19 hood moulds. North
porch has restored chamfered and rebated doorway with filleted
round shafts. Barrel vaulted interior has C18 oak benches and
C14 moulded inner doorway with filleted shafts. Cranmer Chapel
to east of north aisle, single bay, has diagonal buttress. East
end has late C14 reticulated 5 light lancet with hood mould and
mask stops. Buttressed chancel, 3 bays, C13 style, has chamfered
plinth and sill band. Bracketed eaves. Windows are chamfered
lancets with hood moulds. North side has to east, a lancet, and
to west, 2 double lancets. South side has similar fenestration.
East end has 3 stepped lancets with coved reveals. South aisle,
3 bays, has at each end a pair of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs.
East end has C19 triple lancet with ogee heads and reticulated
tracery. West end has similar window with flowing tracery.
South side has 2 C19 triple lancets, with Decorated tracery.
Both have hood moulds. That to right has mask stops. South
porch has pair of diagonal buttresses and above, coped gable with
kneelers. Chamfered and rebated doorway with filleted shafts.
On each side, single chamfered square headed window. Interior
has plain wood benches and common rafter roof. Restored inner
south door has keeled roll moulding and hood mould. C19 doors.
Crossing tower, 3 stages, has string course, and parapet with 4
pinnacles. Pair of buttresses to east. South side has central
door with hoodmould and stops. To right, 2 stage canted stair
turret with shouldered door and 6 stair lights. Above, 2 C13
double lancet bell openings with shafts, hoodmoulds and stops.
East side has, above a similar single lancet and above it, clock.
North side has blocked opening containing 2 plain lancets.
Above, a similar lancet. Above again, pair of bell openings as
to south. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes
with double lancets. Above, finial and weathercock. Nave
arcades, C14 style, 4 bays, have each 3 octagonal piers with
octagonal bases and capitals. Matching responds without bases.
North arcade has hood moulds with mask stops on both sides.
Principal rafter roof with arch braces and cusped struts. West
window has shafts and hood moulds and stained glass, 1890.
North aisle has partial sill band and north side and east end
windows have keeled shafts. C19 lean-to roof with arch braces.
West end has traceried panelled wooden screen with billeted
transom, C19 incorporatintg C16 material. North side has small
door to former external stair. To its right, gabled C14 tomb
recess with cusped trefoil head, containing full size effigy in
cassock, probably Robert de Whatton, c.1310. Spearhead C19
railing. To its right, low elliptical headed door. Above it,
notable C14 angel corbel and bracketed crocketed canopy. To
right again, gabled trefoil headed tomb recess, C14, restored,
with hood mould and crocketed finial. Cranmer Chapel at east end
has oak fittings in early C17 style, 1957. East window has
stained glass to Thomas Dickinson Hall, 1879. Flanked by single
C14 mask corbels. South side has trefoil headed C13 piscina and
above it, remains of chamfered aumbry. To its right, notable C14
King David corbel with remains of gabled crocketed canopy.
South aisle has windows with keeled shafts. Roof as north aisle.
East window has outstanding stained glass to Harrison family,
1878, by Morris and Co. to designs by Burne-Jones. South side
east window has stained glass to Innocent family, c.1900, by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Westernmost and west end windows have
stained glass to members of Innocent family, late C19. Crossing
tower arches, C14 style, have triple chamfers and rebates,
matching responds and hood moulds. Crossing has to north, C13
chamfered recess and to south, C13 chamfered doorway. Chancel
has keeled sill band. King post roof with wall shafts, arch
braces and curved struts. East end windows have clustered marble
shafts, hood moulds and stops. North side has 2 windows with
patterned stained glass, 1889. East end has stained glass window
by Kempe and Co., 1900. South side has to east trefoil headed
triple sedilia with angel corbels. 2 eastern windows have
stained glass, late C19. Western window has patterned stained
glass in head. Fittings include ashlar font, 1662, with panelled
octagonal stem inscribed with shield and date. Tapered panelled
octagonal bowl with strapwork. C18 wooden cover with turned
knob. Carved oak octagonal pulpit on corbelled ashlar base, C19.
C19 oak lectern with cross foot and pair of brass candlesticks.
Large C19 brass eagle lectern. Mid C19 matchboard benches.
Carved, pierced clergy desks and stalls with finials. C14 style
timber reredos, with triptych and crested canopy, c.1885.
Monuments include chest tomb of Sir Richard de Watton, early
C14, with blank shields in quatrefoil panels and full size
crusader effigy with shield. Alabaster tomb chest of Hugh de
Newmarch, late C14, with crested shield panels and full size
knight effigy. Notable incised floor slab, 1501, to Thomas
Cranmer, Snr. Remains of lantern cross with panel showing
cruxifixion. Incised slate referring to Charity of John Wells,
1710. Marble and slate tablet on brackets, signed "T. Barker,
Nottm", and brass signed "R. E. Swinfin, Middle Pavement, Nottm."
Both to Elizabeth Bower, 1892. Brass, 1892, referring to
restoration of tomb of SirRichard de Watton (sic) with text of
inscription. Roll of honour in moulded frame. Classical style
alabaster war memorial with open pediment, Doric columns and
Listing NGR: SK7450139674
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings