This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1061 / 51°6'22"N
Longitude: -0.7092 / 0°42'32"W
OS Eastings: 490467
OS Northings: 134885
OS Grid: SU904348
Mapcode National: GBR DCL.FKJ
Mapcode Global: VHDYP.NGGD
Entry Name: Keffolds
Listing Date: 19 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448380
Location: Haslemere, Waverley, Surrey, GU27
Civil Parish: Haslemere
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Grayswood
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 93 SW 10/6
the description shall be amended to read as follows:
Large house. Built in 1905 by the local architect and builder Herbert Hutchinson for a
Commander Henderson RN. L-shaped plan with principal rooms to south-west and service
wing to north-east. Jacobethan style. South-west wing is of 2 storeys red brick with black
diaperwork and tiled roof. Two storeys; 5 windows. Mullioned or mullioned and transomed
casements. South-west or entrance front has large gabled dormer, buttress and round-headed
plank door in semi-circular recess with lamp, keystone and blank plaque with triangle above.
Gable end with kneelers to return. Garden front has 2-storey 7-light canted bay and gable
to south-east with fretted bargeboards and 2 storey canted bay. North-east wing of 2 storeys
and attics; 5 windows. Red brick, but north-west front facing courtyard has recessed centre
with eclectic timber-framing. Second floor has roof in 3 hips with tile-hanging. Mainly
casement windows with leaded lights. Tall staircase window of 3x3 bays to right. Rear
elevation has timber-framed second floor with 2 gables. Attached to the west is a low red
brick terrace wall and 2 stone and brick gatepiers with tiled gabled heads. Interior features
include ground floor room with copper fireplace in recess and adjoining Great Hall with
arched fireplace in recess with settle and oak staircase with arched balusters and elaborate
finials. To the south is a room with bracketed eaves cornice, fireplace with ovolo moulding
and marquetry-work floor.
5393 (East Side)
SU 93 W 10/6
L-shaped house, the right wing, with entrance, seems to be the original house.
Late C19. 2 storeys, 5 bays, very irregular. Fairly high pitched tiled roof with
one tall canted gabled dormer in centre. Red brick with large diaper of blue heartens,
freestone dressings. Leaded casements of varying sizes expressing function of
rooms within. Gabled buttresses flank large right window. Continuous drip moulds
at varying levels. Round arched entrance with splayed reveal and architrave; and
key stone with pedimented plaque over. Studded door with elaborate iron hinges.
Other wing appeals later in date. Early C20. Two storeys and attic, 3 bays, the attic, 3 bays, the +
wide central bay recessed and holding 3 close-set windows on its overhanging half-timbered
1st floor. Continuous pentice above gives a distant Wealden echo. Above pentice
3 tile hung gable ends. Other walls red brick. Right bay has rounded inner angle
and round-arched door, either part of earlier house or a sensitive transition to
Listing NGR: SU9046734885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings