History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Westerham, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2457 / 51°14'44"N

Longitude: 0.0588 / 0°3'31"E

OS Eastings: 543794

OS Northings: 151628

OS Grid: TQ437516

Mapcode National: GBR LLT.X9C

Mapcode Global: VHHPP.YYYF

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Last Amended: 16 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244002

English Heritage Legacy ID: 448484

Location: Westerham, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Westerham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Crockham Hill Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Westerham

Listing Text

1.
5280 WESTERHAM KENT HATCH

The Old House
(Formerly listed as
Kent Hatch, near
Crockham Hill)
TQ 45 SE 44/1504 l0.9.54.

II


2.
Restored C16 or earlier farmhouse. Framed structure with exposed 1/2 timbering
and brick infilling. Partly tile hung and partly of random stone with brick
quoins. 2 storeys with ridge tile roof and tiled gable end to left with attic
window. Coupled ridge Tudor stacks. Lattice and square paned casements in wooden
frames. Modern projecting tile porch. Inside much exposed stout timber, several
old doors, C17 wainscoting above sitting room fireplace. 3 restored inglenook
fireplaces. Rafters in attic cut with names, initials and C16 and C17 dates.
The house was formerly an inn. Some old iron casements remain with diamond
leading and original glass, one or 2 in original mullioned wood frames.


Listing NGR: TQ4379451628

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1.
5280 WESTERHAM KENT HATCH

The Old House
(Formerly listed as
Kent Hatch, near
Crockham Hill)
TQ 45 SE 44/1504 l0.9.54.

II


2.
Restored C16 or earlier farmhouse. Framed structure with exposed 1/2 timbering
and brick infilling. Partly tile hung and partly of random stone with brick
quoins. 2 storeys with ridge tile roof and tiled gable end to left with attic
window. Coupled ridge Tudor stacks. Lattice and square paned casements in wooden
frames. Modern projecting tile porch. Inside much exposed stout timber, several
old doors, C17 wainscoting above sitting room fireplace. 3 restored inglenook
fireplaces. Rafters in attic cut with names, initials and C16 and C17 dates.
The house was formerly an inn. Some old iron casements remain with diamond
leading and original glass, one or 2 in original mullioned wood frames.


Listing NGR: TQ4379451628

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.