This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5388 / 51°32'19"N
Longitude: -0.1378 / 0°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 529246
OS Northings: 183849
OS Grid: TQ292838
Mapcode National: GBR F2.7K
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.KLJ7
Plus Code: 9C3XGVQ6+GV
Entry Name: All Saints Greek Orthodox Church
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244162
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476828
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Camden Town with Primrose Hill
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2983NW CAMDEN STREET
798-1/77/162 (East side)
10/06/54 All Saints Greek Orthodox Church
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of All Saints)
Church, formerly Church of England, now Greek Orthodox.
1822-24. By W & HW Inwood. Yellow stock brick with stone east
and west ends (west end painted); stone tower. Rectangular
plan with apsed chancel in Greek Revival style.
EXTERIOR: west end with tetrastyle in antis semicircular
portico of giant fluted Ionic columns carrying an entablature
which continues around the building, supported at west end
angles by pilasters. Antefixae to cornice. Above the portico,
a circular stone tower (based on the Choragic Monument of
Lysicrates, Athens) with Ionic columns supporting an
entablature surmounted by a drum with clock faces and cross
finial. 3 square-headed entrances with surrounds of pilasters,
cornice-head and round-arched architrave; C20 wooden doors and
reeded panelling above. North and south facades with
architraved round-arched windows having square-headed
surrounds. East end apse with round-arched windows linked by
INTERIOR: with flat ceiling; 5 bays with Ionic columns
supporting galleries on 3 sides. Classical decorative detail
inspired by Henry William's travels in Greece. Chancel and
nave now separated by iconostasis.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally built as a chapel of ease to serve
Lord Camden's new developments, it was known as the Camden
Chapel and only dedicated to All Saints in 1920. Loaned to the
Greek Orthodox Church in 1948.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood,
Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 136).
Listing NGR: TQ2924483853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings