This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3 / 51°18'0"N
Longitude: 0.127 / 0°7'37"E
OS Eastings: 548379
OS Northings: 157803
OS Grid: TQ483578
Mapcode National: GBR RF.ST9
Mapcode Global: VHHPK.5L08
Plus Code: 9F32842G+2R
Entry Name: The Walled Garden at Chevening Including Potting Range
Listing Date: 14 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 449130
Location: Chevening, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14
Civil Parish: Chevening
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chevening St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 45 NE The Walled Garden
41/2001 at Chevening including
Double walled garden. c1775 supervised by Grizel,wife of-the 2nd Earl Stanhope.
Possibly unique (in England) hexagonal - shaped walled garden doubled on
4 sides to make maximum use of south facing walls and enclosing 8 acres.
Built of red brick in English bond with tiled coping comprising curved central
tile and 2 wedge shaped ones forming an angle to divert water from the wall.
Brick plinth. About 46 courses. 4 sides of the central hexagon have central
square brick piers with round-headed arches, the north and south facing sections
have plain pilasters with blocked entrances. The outer wall has similar
central brick piers with round-headed arches but blocked entrances to north
and south west sides. Early to mid C19 brick potting range with renewed
tiled roof attached to wall at west side. Scotland has one or 2 similar
walled gardens which Lady Grizel Hamilton , whose mother was a Scot, probably
used as a model. Accounts of 1776 show the brickwork for the kitchen garden
walls cost £102. Shown on the estate map of 1775. (See Country Life 20 Sept 1979
"Changes in the Gardens at Chevening,Kent" by Elizabeth Banks,P850.)
Listing NGR: TQ4871757714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings