This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3255 / 51°19'31"N
Longitude: -0.1755 / 0°10'31"W
OS Eastings: 527221
OS Northings: 160069
OS Grid: TQ272600
Mapcode National: GBR DH.8FR
Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.XY27
Plus Code: 9C3X8RGF+6Q
Entry Name: Weston Acres, Including Terrace Wall
Listing Date: 25 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473435
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, SM7
Electoral Ward/Division: Chipstead, Hooley and Woodmansterne
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Woodmansterne St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 26 SE
Weston Acres, including terrace wall
Built as a large house, later accommodation for Seafarer's Society. 1906, the north entrance front added in 1915, by Sydney Tatchell FRIBA. The two late C20 wings to east and west are not of special interest. Arts and crafts style of pebbledash with brick quoins on brick plinth with sandstone mullioned windows and tiled roofs with hooped gutter brackets and brick chimneystacks. Two storeys with irregular fenestration. Asymmetrical building roughly 1-shaped on plan. The most impressive front is the south or garden front which is of two storeys; 8 windows. Lefthand bay projects under gable with Venetian window to firstfloor and 5-lightbay to ground floor. To the right is a 4 : 3 light window, then a diagonally placed external chimneystack, followed by a further 4: 3 window. To the right of this are two single mullioned windows and a hipped tiled porch. Next there is a projecting gable with tiled decoration and a 7-light bay on each floor. The penultimate bay has single mullioned windows and the extreme right bay has a triple window on first floorwith cambered half-glazed door flanked by sidelights. Set back two storey wing to right originally had a loggia on the ground floor with round-headed arches. Set back wing has one 5-light and one 4-light window and one storey 191 5 addition with filled in round-headed arches. Attached to this is a terrace wall of red brick about 5 feet in height, reducing to 3 feet with 6 square brick piers with stone bat[ finials. West side has 2 : 1 windows then 191 5 flat-roofed extension misleadingly dated 1906 with 4-light window to first floor and 3-tight to ground floor. North or entrance front has four windows to 191 5 addition, the centre under a pyramidal roof with weathervane. Projecting porch with sandstone brackets and arched doorcase, at time of survey concealed by late C20 wood and glazed porch. Tall staircase windows and 5-light window to first floor and 3-light window to ground floor on left. 1-wing of two storeys with mullioned and two parallel ranges. Former kitchen yard and stabling of one or two storeys with mullioned windows. The design was exhibited at the Royal Academy exhibition in 1916 and was published in several building magazines of the period.
(A Stuart Gray "Edwardian Architecture" 1985, p.347. "The Architect" 1 December 1916.)
Listing NGR: TQ2722160069
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings