This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3357 / 51°20'8"N
Longitude: -0.1698 / 0°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 527588
OS Northings: 161207
OS Grid: TQ275612
Mapcode National: GBR DG.PVQ
Mapcode Global: VHGRR.0PKG
Plus Code: 9C3X8RPJ+73
Entry Name: Former stables, billiard room and coach house wings on south and east sides of the stable yard at The Oaks
Listing Date: 8 September 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245718
English Heritage Legacy ID: 453479
Location: Sutton, London, SM7
Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton South and Clockhouse
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Woodmansterne St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 2761 SE
Former stables, billiard room and coach house wings on south and east sides of the stable yard at The Oaks
Late C18 to mid C19; outbuildings of different dates of construction ranges round two sides of the yard Mostly red brick; some walls apparently of flint rendered over to appear as red brick. Slate roofs.
East range has a single storey wing at north end with red brick front wall with central doorway with small paned overlight, flanked to each side by a window four panes wide and three deep with top opening light and with vousssoirs; left hand window in former doorway slate hipped roof. Adjoining this to the south, and also in the east range, there is a two-storey coach house wing with slate hipped roof. Late C18 to early C19. Yard elevation coach house with wide vehicular entry with ledged doors and, above, red brick, or rendered wall made to appear as red brick, with ledged loft door. This is connected to south range a one-storey link with ledged door with overlight.
South range; not shown on Title Map of 1842-43 and apparently of mid C19 date. Red brick walls. Slate roof, hipped to west. Yard elevation of south range with central doorway with red brick voussoirs, five panes wide overlight and ledged door. To each side, two window openings with red brick voussoirs and windows with small panes and top pivot lights. Rear wall with four small segmental windows. An inner wall of clunch and flint.
South elevation of east coach house wing with two square windows with glazing bars; this wall is partly of red brick and is also thought to be partly of flint rendered to appear as brick.
East elevation with sash window with side-lights and glazing bars, set in round-headed arch with boarded tympanum and brick stringcourse extending outwards from arch impost levels; this window is thought to light a former billiard room. There is a single storey building in the angle between the east and south ranges, its east wall with central segmental doorway with ledged door and with a sash window with glazing bars to right hand and a small two-light casement to left hand. Inside, C19 fireplace and grate.
Surface of yard faced with small C19 black square setts.
Listing NGR: TQ2758861207
Other nearby listed buildings