This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.517 / 51°31'1"N
Longitude: -0.1273 / 0°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 530032
OS Northings: 181453
OS Grid: TQ300814
Mapcode National: GBR HB.KC
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R41C
Plus Code: 9C3XGV8F+R3
Entry Name: 1, 3 and 5, Bloomsbury Street
Listing Date: 30 January 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476738
Location: Camden, London, WC1B
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081SW BLOOMSBURY STREET
798-1/105/108 (West side)
30/01/73 Nos.1, 3 AND 5
Terrace of 3 houses with later shops. c1766-67, fronts altered
c1845. Built by J Medlam & altered by HW Cooper. Stucco.
3 storeys, attic and cellars. 3 windows each, No.5 with
5-window return (mostly blind) and 2 storeys, 1 window
entrance addition, to Streatham Street. Recessed sash windows
with some original glazing bars, secondary cornice at 3rd
floor level, cornice and blocking course.
No.1: rusticated ground floor with round-arched doorway,
fanlight and panelled door. Architraves to windows,
round-headed openings ground floor, consoles and pediments
(centre segmental) 1st floor. INTERIOR: not inspected but
noted to retain marble mantlepieces and Adam style ceiling on
the 1st floor. Square panelling and C18 fireplaces 2nd floor.
No.3 later C19 ground floor shop. Lugged architraves to 1st
floor windows. INTERIOR: not inspected.
No.5: later C19 stucco ground floor shopfront with attached
Ionic columns carrying entablature with console-bracketed
cornice. Lugged architraves to 1st floor windows, each with
wrought-iron balcony. Return of multi-coloured stock brick
with plain stucco band at 1st floor level; windows with gauged
red brick arches; attached cast-iron railings. INTERIOR: not
inspected but noted to have square balusters and shaped ends
to stairs on upper floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.5 was the home from 1766-1771 of Paul
Saunders, tapestry-maker, whose commercial premises lay at the
rear (Nos 2 & 4 Streatham Street, now demolished). The houses
originally formed part of a longer terrace demolished for the
construction of New Oxford Street, at which time the fronts
Listing NGR: TQ3003281453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings