This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5183 / 51°31'5"N
Longitude: -0.1231 / 0°7'23"W
OS Eastings: 530323
OS Northings: 181600
OS Grid: TQ303816
Mapcode National: GBR J9.JX
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T38D
Plus Code: 9C3XGV9G+8Q
Entry Name: Numbers 5, 5a and 6 and Attached Railings and Lamp Holder
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476726
Location: Holborn and Covent Garden, Camden, London, WC1A
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW BLOOMSBURY SQUARE
798-1/100/100 (West side)
24/10/51 Nos.5, 5A AND 6
and attached railings and
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.5 AND 6)
Two houses, now in three units: No.6 facing Bloomsbury Square,
Nos 5 and 5A main facade on Bloomsbury Way with return to
Bloomsbury Square. 1744. By Henry Flitcroft. Possibly built by
JI Devall. Darkened multi-coloured stock brick. Stone
bracketed cornice below brick parapet and stone band at 1st
floor level. Tiled roof with dormers. 3 storeys, attic and
Nos 5 and 5a: symmetrical facade in Bloomsbury Way with No.23
Bloomsbury Way (qv). 7 windows (right hand two blind),
3-window return to Bloomsbury Square. Pedimented centre bay
slightly projecting with round arched entrance doorway with
stone archivolt and band at springing, patterned fanlight and
panelled door. To either side of door, sashes with keystone
blocks. Above, at first floor level, round-headed sash flanked
by 2 narrow square-headed sashes, all with stone sill band.
2nd floor with Diocletian type window. Gauged brick flat
arches to recessed sash windows with stucco archivolts, some
with original glazing bars. Right hand wing blind apart from
left hand 2nd floor window. Lead rainwater heads and pipes.
INTERIOR: some original panelled rooms and fireplaces; stone
staircase with balustrade restored to original design.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to areas.
No.6: 3 windows. Stone architraved doorcase with console
bracketed cornice, wood pilaster-jambs to door frame, fanlight
and panelled, part glazed, door. Gauged brick flat arches to
recessed sash windows with stucco archivolts, some with
original glazing bars.
INTERIOR: noted to contain some original panelling and
features. Staircase altered early C20.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with
urn finials and overthrow lamp-holder.
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.6 was home, in his youth of Isaac
Disraeli, father of Benjamin Disraeli (GLC plaque).
Listing NGR: TQ3032181591
Other nearby listed buildings