This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5186 / 51°31'7"N
Longitude: -0.1235 / 0°7'24"W
OS Eastings: 530295
OS Northings: 181638
OS Grid: TQ302816
Mapcode National: GBR J9.FS
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T324
Plus Code: 9C3XGV9G+FJ
Entry Name: White Hall Hotel (Numbers 9-11) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 30 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476727
Location: Camden, London, WC1A
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW BLOOMSBURY SQUARE
798-1/100/101 (West side)
30/06/69 Nos.9-13 (Consecutive)
White Hall Hotel (Nos.9-11) and
5 terraced houses. c1662-5. Built by T Coxe. Many C18 & C19
alterations. Nos 10, 11 & 13 refronted c1770-2; 3rd floor
added 1841. Fronts stuccoed c1862 in Italianate style.
Nos 9-11 form a symmetrical group with a recessed central,
pedimented bay. Slated mansard roof with dormers. 4 storeys,
No.10 plus an attic storey, attics and basement. 3 windows
each. Rusticated ground floor. Pilasters rise from 1st floor,
articulating each house, carrying entablature, with dentil
cornice on outer bays. Square-headed doorcase with pilasters,
round-headed arch with keystone and voussoirs, paterae, and
cornice; fanlight and 2 leaf panelled doors. Ground floor
windows partly with hexagonal and small square leaded lights.
Architraved 2-pane sash windows, the 1st floor with cornices
and wrought-iron balconies, 2nd floor with cornices broken
upwards over the keystones. Balustraded parapet to outer bays;
central bay with pediment over the attic storey with enriched
tympanum containing a cartouche with the words "White Hall".
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to have been reconstructed
for use as a hotel 1909-11. Nos 12 and 13 continue the terrace
north in the same style as Nos 9 and 11 but without mansard
roofs and dormers. Square-headed recessed doorways with
fanlights and panelled doors. INTERIORS: not inspected but
No.12 contains a panelled ground floor front room, formerly
the office of the historian Sir Nikolaus Pevsner.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached late C19 cast-iron railings to
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.10 was the house of Dr Robert Willan,
dermatologist, GLC plaque.
Listing NGR: TQ3028181647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings