This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0106 / 51°0'38"N
Longitude: -0.08 / 0°4'48"W
OS Eastings: 534786
OS Northings: 125218
OS Grid: TQ347252
Mapcode National: GBR KN6.JLK
Mapcode Global: FRA B6QF.W34
Plus Code: 9C3X2W69+6X
Entry Name: Lindfield Junior School Social Centre (Formerly National School)
Listing Date: 23 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473376
Location: Lindfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Lindfield
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 2324 LINDFIELD LEWES POAD
Lindfield Junior School
(Formerly National School)
National School, later social centre. Built in 1851 by builder Amon Anscombe. Built of local West Hoathly brick of brownish mottled texture, the south west front cement rendered, with a slate roof with plain bargeboards and pendants. One storey gable ended with similar but lower range to rear. Four tripartite mullioned and transomed casements to front. Side has two narrower windows and double casement to rear range. Central gabled porch with two-centred arched doorcase on each side, originally separate entrances for boys and girls. C20 plank doors. Plain interior with inserted stage but plaque recording benefaction of o200. After 1881 when the adjoining Board school was built, this National School became first a Sunday school, then a village Reading Room and finally a social centre. It is also used as a school hall by the adjoining Lindfield junior School. The plans for this building are in the West Sussex Record Office. Although the details of the porch differ from the plans, the porch appears to be of the same build. A deed dated August 25th 1851 conveyed it "to the Minister and Churchwardens of Lindfield upon trust to permit the said premises and all buildings thereon erected, or to be erected, to be forever hereafter appropriated and used as and for a school for the education of children and adults, or children only, of the labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes of the Parish of Lindfield aforesaid and for no other purpose."
Source: 1851 sketch drawings WSRO ref E416B/6/1~3.
Listing NGR: TQ3478625218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings